Colella

Former Member
Former Member
I have been checking times in the Nationals and, naturally, check my age group 65-69. Anyone notice what's happening there? Rick Colella is completely obliterating national records. Here's a few: 200 IM 2:03. 63; 100 IM 57.45; 100 *** 1:02.75. Let this sink in. He broke the 200 IM record by 13 seconds, the 100 IM by 3, the 100 *** by 5. )remains? perhaps the 400 IM this morning....the 200 fly? Look, whatever this dude wants to swim, he will win and set a new national record. It's like that. It should be said: Rick Colella is now the best Masters swimmer in the world. Period. These times are freakishly fast especially when you consider his age, SIXTY FIVE! They are incredibly fast times for people 15 years younger. The thing is, from my brief encounters with Rick, he is an affable and easy going guy and a few years ago he was not close to this good. This is what happens when someone with an incredible amount of talent decides to bear down and focus. Sure, at our age (I am also 65), this includes some luck with health, relationships, and all the rest. But what Colella is doing in the water RIGHT NOW should be recognized as maybe the most impressive Masters swims ever done (and I am aware of the incredible swims by Rich Abrahams, Laura Val, Jim McConica and other great Masters swimmers). In my opinion Colella takes the crown. I am hoping he continues obliterating the record book!
Parents
  • Favorite memory of Riverside nationals. I was in the locker room, and this guy was talking to another guy (Colella) about how their meets were going. At the end, the one guy says to Colella, "What age group are you in?" Colella: "65-69." Other guy: "Bad luck, you have to swim against Colella." Colella: "I am Colella."
  • Favorite memory of Riverside nationals. I was in the locker room, and this guy was talking to another guy (Colella) about how their meets were going. At the end, the one guy says to Colella, "What age group are you in?" Colella: "65-69." Other guy: "Bad luck, you have to swim against Colella." Colella: "I am Colella."
Children
No Data