When/how to transition from "lap" swimming to workouts?

Started swimming again this year in an effort to get in better shape. Haven't done it since college (I'm 43), and that was just for exercise. Did it as a kid, now my kids also swim. At any rate, I'm just doing laps right now. Usually 6 sets of 500, occasionally only 5 and occasionally 7 or 8. ~5 days a week when life doesn't get in the way (so about 15,000 yards per week). About 25% ***, 25% back, and 50% free. I have occasionally thrown some fly in there, but I just can't do it without it fatiguing me to the point where the remainder of the set is very suboptimal. At any rate, I am wondering at what point I should start looking to transition to doing workouts, rather than just laps. There is no Masters program that will work for me, so I'd just be following the posted workouts from the forums. Should I just jump right in? Should I start from "week 1," or just hit it right in the middle? Also, should I just be looking mostly at the general workouts, of mixing it up with the IM workouts to get more strokes, or start with general and slowly work my way towards the IM stuff? Anything y'all need to know to help guide me the right way?
Parents
  • Now that I've picked my jaw up off the floor about you being involved in something that my mother does (and she confirmed that she knows you well!), other stuff. :lmao: Wow. Wow. That is amazing. I want to think he was a butterflyer in his younger days, and would have been an Olympic favorite had we not boycotted the 1980 games. I want to think he has some step daughters my age, but I haven't really kept up with a lot of that. Also very happy to see some investment in teh community! Oak Ridge, where my kids swim, is kind of like how Griffin at least used to be. Big community center, hige city park, all of teh sports done through the city. And as such, a city pool (indoor in our case). Sadly, so many things have gone away from community run activities to letting private entities, mostly churches, build gyms and other things, and operate sports leagues. My kids' middle school had 8 times as many relay teams at that meet than did the one in Oak Ridge.....yet Oak Ridge has the pool (7 lane, 25 yard). Part of it is UT, as well. And that team is a bit of a leviathan, but I won't comment further on that, as I have issues with small teams like ours having to de facto recruit against the state university for youth swimmers. We've been to some very, very nice YMCA facilities, many built with corporate sponsorship. But UT has 3 50M pools, so there really isn't much drive with our local Y's to do that. I remember stumbling across another guy from Knoxville, and wondered if he were on the team at UT (TN Aquatics). Seems when I looked at his profile, his name was Jason or Judd or something wiht a J, don't recall. I know a few folks there. Some parents of former swimming teammates, and I've met some guys at the pool where I swim (a Gold's Gym) who weren't able to make the practices there at all times. At any rate, as I said, I was pretty humbled this morning. Gotta keep chugging to get into enough shape to actually do the workouts. And get a nose clip. There's a pretty strong back stoker who is neighbors with my sister in the Denver burbs. She just moved back there from California. I think she uses them. Real tall girl. Probably a fat chance, but it is a small world, right? You might have heard of her, too. I think her name is Misty or something? ;) Now that I have picked MY jaw up off the floor, I'm on my way now to see your mom at the Griffin Choral Arts Children's Chorus concert that she will be listening to as well. More later... Gotta run! :bolt:
  • Now that I've picked my jaw up off the floor about you being involved in something that my mother does (and she confirmed that she knows you well!), other stuff. :lmao: Wow. Wow. That is amazing. I want to think he was a butterflyer in his younger days, and would have been an Olympic favorite had we not boycotted the 1980 games. I want to think he has some step daughters my age, but I haven't really kept up with a lot of that. Also very happy to see some investment in teh community! Oak Ridge, where my kids swim, is kind of like how Griffin at least used to be. Big community center, hige city park, all of teh sports done through the city. And as such, a city pool (indoor in our case). Sadly, so many things have gone away from community run activities to letting private entities, mostly churches, build gyms and other things, and operate sports leagues. My kids' middle school had 8 times as many relay teams at that meet than did the one in Oak Ridge.....yet Oak Ridge has the pool (7 lane, 25 yard). Part of it is UT, as well. And that team is a bit of a leviathan, but I won't comment further on that, as I have issues with small teams like ours having to de facto recruit against the state university for youth swimmers. We've been to some very, very nice YMCA facilities, many built with corporate sponsorship. But UT has 3 50M pools, so there really isn't much drive with our local Y's to do that. I remember stumbling across another guy from Knoxville, and wondered if he were on the team at UT (TN Aquatics). Seems when I looked at his profile, his name was Jason or Judd or something wiht a J, don't recall. I know a few folks there. Some parents of former swimming teammates, and I've met some guys at the pool where I swim (a Gold's Gym) who weren't able to make the practices there at all times. At any rate, as I said, I was pretty humbled this morning. Gotta keep chugging to get into enough shape to actually do the workouts. And get a nose clip. There's a pretty strong back stoker who is neighbors with my sister in the Denver burbs. She just moved back there from California. I think she uses them. Real tall girl. Probably a fat chance, but it is a small world, right? You might have heard of her, too. I think her name is Misty or something? ;) Now that I have picked MY jaw up off the floor, I'm on my way now to see your mom at the Griffin Choral Arts Children's Chorus concert that she will be listening to as well. More later... Gotta run! :bolt:
Children
No Data