Questions about lifting

I have some questions regarding lifting. I feel compelled to lift - typically 2X per week - for two reasons: 1) just good strength training in general for an aging body. 2) Shoulder and knee injury prevention, but, I really don't enjoy it. I'm beginning to think that lifting is not helping my swimming, and probably hurting it. The fatigue makes it harder for me to follow through on my intended training sets - intervals, # of reps, or speed. I also wonder if lifting is contributing to the soreness/tendonitis I often feel in my arms. I do a variety of exercises using the weight stacks as 3 sets of 12. People tell me that 12 reps means I'm lifting light. Sheesh! to me it feels difficult enough, tiring/burning by the 12th rep, and definitely more so with progressive sets; in short, my weights don't feel light! I'm thinking I should persevere with my lifting schedule because maybe its helping me "get slower, slower". I'm afraid to run the control experiment. I'm wondering if I can abandon lifting completely 4 weeks out from my target meet and still maintain whatever strength I have? I'm wondering if I should drop all lifting from my program now and permanently, and only do shoulder pre-hab, planks, yoga and things like that? Anybody have any insight on how lifting affects your swimming and how you manage it close to a meet?
Parents
  • Sunruh, i lift or swim in the mornings, not on the same day. I'm not a sprinter. I try to space lifting evenly through the week, at minimum, 48 hours. Lat pull downs, straight arm pull down, seated row, triceps, biceps, leg press, curl, extension. 3-4 swim workouts per week. i do keep logs. thanks! is there anyway you can swim in the morning and lift in the evening? or lift and then swim? you have a very nice group of excercises. recent studies have shown that it does not matter if you do: low reps and heavy weight or a lot of reps and less weight as long as you go to muscle failure. how you achive that is a mix/mash of your own comfort. for me, as an example, i have had so many injuries that heavy weight now scares me to death. so, please be understanding of what you body is telling you. muscle failure IS what you want to achive...pain is NOT p.s. this is a very active topic with myself and my brother who is a certified athletic trainer, physical therapists and was a D2 swimmer
  • Sunruh, i lift or swim in the mornings, not on the same day. I'm not a sprinter. I try to space lifting evenly through the week, at minimum, 48 hours. Lat pull downs, straight arm pull down, seated row, triceps, biceps, leg press, curl, extension. 3-4 swim workouts per week. i do keep logs. thanks! is there anyway you can swim in the morning and lift in the evening? or lift and then swim? you have a very nice group of excercises. recent studies have shown that it does not matter if you do: low reps and heavy weight or a lot of reps and less weight as long as you go to muscle failure. how you achive that is a mix/mash of your own comfort. for me, as an example, i have had so many injuries that heavy weight now scares me to death. so, please be understanding of what you body is telling you. muscle failure IS what you want to achive...pain is NOT p.s. this is a very active topic with myself and my brother who is a certified athletic trainer, physical therapists and was a D2 swimmer
Children
No Data