Cupping therapy after swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Has anyone tried cupping therapy after swimming to relax their muscles? If so, what are your experiences? As you can see on Michael Phelps Instagram he uses it, so it must be good.
Parents
  • Actually, cupping works differently from massage. The point is to pull the muscle away from the bone to encourage circulation. It leaves you looking like you've been in a boxing match, but it works for some things. Though it didn't do much for me because I needed shoulder repair, anyway, and cupping doesn't help if you have a torn tendon. Phelps is doing a lot of hard work, and maybe he has an issue that responds to cupping, but that doesn't mean it's good for everybody. I don't think it's a fad. It's actually been around a very long time. It's another form of Chinese healing. I believe there is evidence that shows it works for some cases better than massage. But it's a medical treatment and should be used with discretion. I can't see that it would be something you'd want to do after a workout and no, just because Phelps uses it, doesn't mean it's good. He's probably under a doctor's care and it's prescribed for a reason. FYI massage has not worked very much for me. I find using the McKenzie technique for neck alignment alleviated my pain much better. I'm assuming you're not in pain. My theory is don't mess with anything you don't need.
  • Actually, cupping works differently from massage. The point is to pull the muscle away from the bone to encourage circulation. It leaves you looking like you've been in a boxing match, but it works for some things. Though it didn't do much for me because I needed shoulder repair, anyway, and cupping doesn't help if you have a torn tendon. Phelps is doing a lot of hard work, and maybe he has an issue that responds to cupping, but that doesn't mean it's good for everybody. I don't think it's a fad. It's actually been around a very long time. It's another form of Chinese healing. I believe there is evidence that shows it works for some cases better than massage. But it's a medical treatment and should be used with discretion. I can't see that it would be something you'd want to do after a workout and no, just because Phelps uses it, doesn't mean it's good. He's probably under a doctor's care and it's prescribed for a reason. FYI massage has not worked very much for me. I find using the McKenzie technique for neck alignment alleviated my pain much better. I'm assuming you're not in pain. My theory is don't mess with anything you don't need.
Children
No Data