How to swim when you're too scared!

Former Member
Former Member
If you’ve always wanted to learn how to swim, please read on. I will (should, lol) be able to help you. I’ve been a swimming instructor for a long time and everyone that I’ve taught simply needs to go through a simple process of exercises and they can and will become a very strong and confident swimmer. If you’re reading this, then I probably know you. You’re probably really nervous around the water. You definitely aren't a MASTERs level swimmer. Not only that, but you’re also probably really embarrassed that you cannot even swim a couple lengths confidently in the pool. And I get it, I’ve worked with hundreds of students before you and they always seem so damn stressed about their predicament. I also get that you don’t want to blow hundreds of dollars on swimming instruction that might not even work. So here’s my suggestion: Take matters into your own hands. Decide that you are unsatisfied with being scared in this area of your life and go and splash around in a pool. Get your ass moving and research the topic. Watch YouTube videos, find helpful resources, GO TO THE POOL AND TRY PADDLING AROUND. If you start trying things, whatever they might be, you’ll eventually figure out how to swim. With that said I just want to throw out what I think can be a VERY effective approach to become successful in the pool. Here’s a couple of steps that you can take that will practically guarantee you become competent in the pool. All you need to do is decide that learning to swim is a priority for you and that you’re going to try my suggestions. If you’re deathly afraid of the water, that is the first thing that you have to eliminate. You NEED to be comfortable just being and floating in the water. You might be thinking, “how can I just FEEL confident in the water. It’s not that easy”. I know, it’s ****ing hard to get control over your anxiety over something, but there’s a few tricks you can use, the most effective of them being… your body language. Have you ever heard that ****, “just act confident, and it’ll eventually start happening for you,” kind of advice? Doesn’t work. But, if you begin to control your BODY LANGUAGE, then you start creating some real magic. It will literally shortcut that mental block you have and allow you to really lessen the affect that your anxiety has over your mind. When you head into the pool to do the exercise I’m suggesting, start by noticing your body language. Are your shoulder hiked up to your ears? Are you frowning, gritting your teeth? Is your belly sucked up into your chest like you’re trying to hold in a fart? Or are you strutting around like a cocky know it all with a **** eating grin on your face? I guarantee, the last one will give you the most success! You need to watch these parts of your body that are “tightening up” and consciously relax them. When you’re mind notices that your body is relaxed, you will naturally feel much less pressure with the task you’re about to do. So with all this in mind, here is exercise # 1: Go to a local pool and jump into the shallow end and just wade around. Don’t focus on anything else, but feeling comfortable. Notice your body language and if you’re comfortable there. Begin to do things to help build your confidence, like putting your shoulders in the water. Work up to submerging your entire head and exhaling under water. And keep your body language relaxed the entire time. Like you’re in the most relaxing situation of your life. Important: Stay in shallow water. You must be able to stand at all times if you want to do this in a safe matter. Once you’ve gotten more comfortable in the water, start building the progression up. Get the proper body position in the water. Make sure that you’re comfortable facing the bottom of the pool. Check that your shoulders aren’t getting all wound up and check that you’re not holding your breath and seizing up. Do some glides off the wall and make sure that you’re body is staying relaxed and comfortable. Stretch your arms straight above your head and practice pushing off the wall and travelling a good amount of distance. If you don’t have this step down, you won’t be able to progress further Again, do this in shallow water where you can stand up. Don’t feel bad about using a PDF to help you keep your body language relaxed. Once you have the body position, you’ll be able to start adding in kicking and the arms one at a time until you have an awesome front crawl. To get the kicking down, start by holding onto a wall of the pool with your face and body in the water lying on your front while your entire body is stretched out as far as you can go. You’ll need to point your toes and stretch your legs out without locking your knees. If your knees lock up while you kick, you won’t get any propulsion. The above steps will give you a great start toward learning how to swim even if your absolutely terrified. Message me if you have something to add or if you have a question for me to answer! Cheers and good luck!! Brent http://canadiantravelling.com/
Parents
  • I strong recommend that you look into the book "Teach Yourself to Swim like a Pro" (and related resources) by Dr. Pete Anderson, long-time swimmer, coach, and USMS member (and record holder). Visit: LearnToSwimProgram.com. In my opinion, this is the best set of resources available on this topic: so much useful information and so many small-step progressions that I cannot do it justice in this short space. See for yourself.
  • I strong recommend that you look into the book "Teach Yourself to Swim like a Pro" (and related resources) by Dr. Pete Anderson, long-time swimmer, coach, and USMS member (and record holder). Visit: LearnToSwimProgram.com. In my opinion, this is the best set of resources available on this topic: so much useful information and so many small-step progressions that I cannot do it justice in this short space. See for yourself.
Children
No Data