Proposed New Additions for Tokyo 2020

Swimswam had an interesting article about new events FINA has requested be added to the schedule for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. The additions would be as follows: Men’s 800m Freestyle Women’s 1500m Freestyle Mixed 400 Medley Relay Mixed 400 Freestyle Relay 50s in each stroke for both men and women Admittedly it seems very ambitious and it's highly unlikely FINA will get everything it wants, but it's still worthy of discussion. What are everone's thoughts on this proposed schedule?
  • Almost forgot, here's the link to the story: swimswam.com/.../
  • they would have to reshuffle the order of events around a LOT to add in the M800 and W1500. the 1/2 mile for men and mile for women would be a nice addition for long distance people. my guess is that the 50s of each stroke will be the only events to make it in. splash dash cash of each stroke. broad appeal for viewers on tv takes little extra time at both trails and games. yes it messes with the order or events but hey be a sprinter and make the team! possibly 6 new team members for stroke 50s vs 2 for distance
  • Most of the reaction I've seen has been virulently against adding the mixed relays, 50/50 on adding the 50s (he he), and broader support for essentially swapping out the W800 for the W1500 instead of adding two extra distance events.
  • I love the idea of mixed relays! With different teams haveing their swimmers in a different order, the lead changes would be dramatic and make for very exciting viewing for the average Olympics TV viewer. Yes on splash and dash for all strokes as these races would be quick and exciting! I like swapping the women's 800 for the 1500.
  • I like all of them,but if I only got one, it would be swap the women's 800 for the 1500.
  • My opinion is to swap the women's 800 for the 1500 and leave everything else the way it is now.
  • A lot of seem to agree -drop the W800 & put in the W1500. Women have been running marathons and doing full Ironman triathlon for a long time now!! 50's of each stroke would be fun to watch and a short time televise. imho
  • I think the relays and the 50s would be great additions and exciting to watch. A men's 800 or 1,000 would be great for the distance swimmers and adding a women's 1500 is long over due (they stopped playing women's half-court basketball a long time ago).
  • Naturally, I would prefer to see the two distance events added, but agree that if only one change was made, it should be to swap the 1500 in and take the 800 out for women. I'd be in favor of adding everything. When swimming is only really televised once every four years, how can more swimming be bad?
  • Why is there such opposition to mixed relays? Some of my best experiences in Masters have been mixed relays. As someone has already mentioned, the placing of the swimmers would provide some interesting ebb and flow.