Does swimming effect our eyes?

Former Member
Former Member
I am wondering if swimming has anything to do with my vision. I swim almost 3-4 times a week and be in contact with chlorinated water for years. Can splashing around in chlorine filled water can effect our eyes and vision? I have blurred vision that makes me difficult to read print or read signs while driving. I even have quite severe astigmatism that I cannot get corrective lenses in my swim goggles. So I went to contacts. But with the usage of contact lenses for years, the glaucoma in my left eye was getting to the point where if it was left any longer, my optic nerve would get damaged. Now I am scheduled for my yearly test from an eye exam centre in a few weeks and will not be surprised if the doctor thinks it is time for cataract surgery as that’s what the symptoms indicate. I have been reading online about the vision problem and the necessary treatment for this and found that cataract surgery is the best way to get out of my eye problem. But I am just not certain if I’ll do it unless I found out that it’s perfectly safe. Has anyone had this and can offer their experience with it?
  • I had cataract surgery 5 years ago. It was amazing how well I could see again afterward. I wasn't swimming much back then. Had the surgery in April & May, needed to wait a month between eyes, then didn't swim until July.
  • I had cataract surgery 7 years ago-one eye, then 2 weeks later the other eye. Swam the day of surgery (before). The instructions for post op were to keep my eyes dry for a week so I wore goggles and did a lot of backstroke. When I had the surgery I had been competitive swimming for 50 years-don't think chlorine had anything to do with the development of the cataracts-2 of my brothers have had the surgery and they are not swimmers. My father also had cataracts and he was not a swimmer. You will marvel at the clarity of your vision with those new lenses.
  • Hi To help us - what is your age? I am 71 and swim with my contacts with corrected astigmatism and have no problems. Those that have had cataracts removed have little/no problems returning to swimming. no starts off the blocks for a few weeks due to water impact but, you would take the same precautions if you had a broken arm or leg.