In the New York Times

Masters team article in the New York Times, by Nancy Stearns Bercaw www.nytimes.com/.../swimming-in-the-fast-lane.html
Parents
  • I don't want to drive this too far off topic but THIS I find to be a huge issue. I have about 50 swimmers from my youth days I still keep in touch with through Facebook or whatnot. The number that still swim regularly? One, me. The number that will occasionally dabble back in the pool? Another three. A husband and wife couple from my youth days, one of whom was crazy fast, just posted that they are getting rid of the pool that came with their new home last year because they are "not pool people". This makes me so sad. Our facility attracts members from 12 towns with youth teams. We have only 9 former swimmers and 5 of them had the same coach on three separate teams. The three dabblers on my Facebook feed? Same coach as the 5 masters members and I have friends from 4 different teams. This is not a coincidence. A coach can make or break whether kids want to swim for life. Same here. Most of the swimmers that I still talk to don't have great memories of how their swimming careers ended (injuries, fall out with coaches, disappointing end to their career, etc). It took me ten years to get back into the pool. I love it more now than I ever did then, something I try to impress on old swimming buddies, but for most of my former teammates the sport is associated with less-than-awesome club swimming memories.
  • I don't want to drive this too far off topic but THIS I find to be a huge issue. I have about 50 swimmers from my youth days I still keep in touch with through Facebook or whatnot. The number that still swim regularly? One, me. The number that will occasionally dabble back in the pool? Another three. A husband and wife couple from my youth days, one of whom was crazy fast, just posted that they are getting rid of the pool that came with their new home last year because they are "not pool people". This makes me so sad. Our facility attracts members from 12 towns with youth teams. We have only 9 former swimmers and 5 of them had the same coach on three separate teams. The three dabblers on my Facebook feed? Same coach as the 5 masters members and I have friends from 4 different teams. This is not a coincidence. A coach can make or break whether kids want to swim for life. Same here. Most of the swimmers that I still talk to don't have great memories of how their swimming careers ended (injuries, fall out with coaches, disappointing end to their career, etc). It took me ten years to get back into the pool. I love it more now than I ever did then, something I try to impress on old swimming buddies, but for most of my former teammates the sport is associated with less-than-awesome club swimming memories.
Children
No Data