In the New York Times

Masters team article in the New York Times, by Nancy Stearns Bercaw www.nytimes.com/.../swimming-in-the-fast-lane.html
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    There must be a reason that not many "world class" swimmers come back into master to "crush" records. They have had their time as top flight swimmers and now prefer to help others or relax. I have witnessed some that have done crushing times and it is awe inspiring and humbling. Agreed. A lot of people would take great pride in saying that they just whooped Mark Spitz in a 100 free. ...He did swim with a masters group for a while, but I'm not so certain that he competed. ...I recall reading a local article that he was not fond of having a target on his back. On the other hand, Rowdy Gaines, Matt Biondi, and Brian Goodell have all been active masters competitors... and they do it for fun it seems, rather than trying to prove something. It's a sport for life, and a great way to stay in shape. Granted, Rowdy is still a phenomenal sprinter, but he has a humble spirit, and can't help but do well based on his gift and hard work. This mindset is a far cry from the zealots who need to fill some kind of internal void by smashing records, and "crushing" their competition. ...Yes we all have competitive drive, and it's wonderful to enjoy reaching a goal, and some personal success after all the hard work, but it's almost kind of sad when one's drive to win somehow seems a tad extreme.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    There must be a reason that not many "world class" swimmers come back into master to "crush" records. They have had their time as top flight swimmers and now prefer to help others or relax. I have witnessed some that have done crushing times and it is awe inspiring and humbling. Agreed. A lot of people would take great pride in saying that they just whooped Mark Spitz in a 100 free. ...He did swim with a masters group for a while, but I'm not so certain that he competed. ...I recall reading a local article that he was not fond of having a target on his back. On the other hand, Rowdy Gaines, Matt Biondi, and Brian Goodell have all been active masters competitors... and they do it for fun it seems, rather than trying to prove something. It's a sport for life, and a great way to stay in shape. Granted, Rowdy is still a phenomenal sprinter, but he has a humble spirit, and can't help but do well based on his gift and hard work. This mindset is a far cry from the zealots who need to fill some kind of internal void by smashing records, and "crushing" their competition. ...Yes we all have competitive drive, and it's wonderful to enjoy reaching a goal, and some personal success after all the hard work, but it's almost kind of sad when one's drive to win somehow seems a tad extreme.
Children
No Data