In the New York Times

Masters team article in the New York Times, by Nancy Stearns Bercaw www.nytimes.com/.../swimming-in-the-fast-lane.html
Parents
  • For many who swam competitively at a high level during their youth and college years, the competition is a big part of why they started training again. For me, I started training for health reasons but once I started to get in shape and find some speed, I was bit by the competitive bug and I, too, feel like a young age grouper trying to hit a time and place high in meets....and I'm hitting my original goal of better health and fitness. At the same time I train with swimmers my age who are every bit as fast as me, or faster, and they have no interest in competing....to each their own....but the story does touch some of us who spent so much time in the pool so long ago, and have rediscovered the thrill in swimming competitively.
  • For many who swam competitively at a high level during their youth and college years, the competition is a big part of why they started training again. For me, I started training for health reasons but once I started to get in shape and find some speed, I was bit by the competitive bug and I, too, feel like a young age grouper trying to hit a time and place high in meets....and I'm hitting my original goal of better health and fitness. At the same time I train with swimmers my age who are every bit as fast as me, or faster, and they have no interest in competing....to each their own....but the story does touch some of us who spent so much time in the pool so long ago, and have rediscovered the thrill in swimming competitively.
Children
No Data