swim, walk, lift

Since I'm able to get back into regular exercise, and I'm not at the point where swimming is my primary exercise, I've been trying to incorporate walking and weight training into my program. I wonder if anyone else here has other forms of exercise they do in addition to swimming (heretical, I know). Being female and over 60, I need to pay a lot of attention to bone density and fat burn. So if anyone has suggestions on how often each week to do whatever, I'd love to hear them.:bow: BTW I hope to make swimming my primary exercise again (it's once or twice a week now), but I need to slide into it gently so as not to have another rotator cuff flare up.
  • I haven't lifted weights in almost a year and swimming is now my primary exercise since arthritis put a damper on running. I was never a big fan of lifting anyway, even when I was a shot putter. My workouts this week: Monday: 140 pushups, 3 mile walk, 1250yd swim, 8 mile bike. Tuesday: masters swim practice, 1800yd mostly 100 repeats. Wednesday: nothing, nothing, nothing, plus take a nap. Thursday: pushups again, maybe 3-4 mile walk, masters swim practice again Friday: Don't know what I'll do yet. Saturday: a trail 5K race walking.
  • I love Sumo's Wednesdays! :lmao: As for my routine, my Sundays look a lot like Sumo's, minus the nap. Otherwise, I swim 6x/wk followed by a 45-minute dryland routine on deck immediately after I swim. I don't lift weights, but I do use my own body weight and/or a Theraband for strengthening by doing planks, crunches, my PT exercises (for my shoulders and hip), and about 30 minutes of Power Yoga: www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_6 The balance exercises have been great for strengthening the muscles and joints in my entire body, and my flexibility has improved tremendously. :agree:
  • I've been thinking about the same thing lately. Swimming is my primary exercise. I do it 6x/week. Mon, Wed, Fri: Masters Swim - 1 hr ~3000y Tue, Thurs, Sat: Solo lap swim - 1.5 ~ 5000y I want to be faster, not to compete, but to be promoted to the faster lanes. I've had people tell me to do some dryland exercises, but I just don't have the time. I've got 3 kids (all under the age of 5), so me lifting weights would be when I carry them around. I also walk 20min each way, everyday to/from the train station and to/from work. I've seen improvements in my endurance and speed when I increased my solo lap swim time from 1 hr to 1.5 hrs. I'm thinking soon, I will walk up the stairs instead of taking the escalators from the train station.
  • Sumorunner, I'm exhausted just reading the description of your workout.:D I'm on board with the nap, though. ElaineK, I've thought about adding some dry land exercises but the idea of working out on the side of the pool is intimidating. I'm not in the great shape you're in and I'm usually only in a public or gym pool. But I like the idea of doing yoga and band exercises. Maybe I could just incorporate that post swim instead of weights. Ssumargo, your routine sounds pretty intense as it is. I think you're way ahead of me in the fitness area, I can't do a long swim yet. So I like the idea of some yoga/light band exercise after swimming.:chug:
  • Since I'm able to get back into regular exercise, and I'm not at the point where swimming is my primary exercise, I've been trying to incorporate walking and weight training into my program. I wonder if anyone else here has other forms of exercise they do in addition to swimming (heretical, I know). Being female and over 60, I need to pay a lot of attention to bone density and fat burn. So if anyone has suggestions on how often each week to do whatever, I'd love to hear them.:bow: BTW I hope to make swimming my primary exercise again (it's once or twice a week now), but I need to slide into it gently so as not to have another rotator cuff flare up. Hi Denise! It is very important for swimmers, especially female to participate in weight bearing exercise to maintain as much bone mass as possible. When you are in your 60's you will not be building more bone mass, but it's imperative to try to keep what you've got. Unless you are able to build up to jogging or running I'd just keep walking, perhaps go further or interject some faster intervals into your walking. Jump Rope is a good bone builder, but if you're not used to it I'd be careful because of the impact. Truthfully, your program of swimming, lifting, and walking sounds flawless for a 60 year old trying to do what you are doing. Good luck, maybe find a group to walk with and do a 5K, make it fun!!