Calf Cramps

I am fairly new to swimming and have started experiencing calf cramps the last two visits to the pool (during freestyle and fly). I typically stretch out my muscles after completing an initial 100 freestyle and continue to stretch off and on throughout my 1 hour workout. I try to stay hydrated throughout my workout and eat a dill pickle after each workout as I have heard they are good for muscle cramps. Any other suggestions on how to avoid these calf cramps??? Thanks Everyone :)
Parents
  • Seems like you are dong the right things. Because you are just starting out, I think your are using and stretching calf muscles in ways that they weren't previously worked. Give it some time and the cramps should fade. For me, pushing off the walls and blocks tends to induce cramps when I'm tired, so push off easier if you can. Cycling and other exercises (for instance box jumps) to build up your calves and add flexibility will also help. Getting older and less flexible doesn't help, but getting older beats the alternative.
  • Seems like you are dong the right things. Because you are just starting out, I think your are using and stretching calf muscles in ways that they weren't previously worked. Give it some time and the cramps should fade. For me, pushing off the walls and blocks tends to induce cramps when I'm tired, so push off easier if you can. Cycling and other exercises (for instance box jumps) to build up your calves and add flexibility will also help. Getting older and less flexible doesn't help, but getting older beats the alternative.
Children
No Data