spinal stenosis and swimming

I have recently been diagnosed with severe spinal stenosis and may have to have a laminectomy and fusion surgery. I'm wondering if any other swimmers have had this type of surgery, and what swimming is like after it's done? Forgot to mention the problem is in my lumbar section. (L3-L5)
Parents
  • Mine is not stenosis but something similar, spondylolisthesis, with a little scoliosis, where the vertebrae shift relative to one another and pinch on a nerve, the root cause being arthritis. It isn't bad enough yet for surgery but may eventually, so I'd like to hear from others as well. It was this that led me to swimming and away from running. I can do anything but impact sports. Swimming not only has no impact but strengthens the core and helps the spine. I also do lots of pushups, again for the core and back muscles which support the spinal column.
  • Mine is not stenosis but something similar, spondylolisthesis, with a little scoliosis, where the vertebrae shift relative to one another and pinch on a nerve, the root cause being arthritis. It isn't bad enough yet for surgery but may eventually, so I'd like to hear from others as well. It was this that led me to swimming and away from running. I can do anything but impact sports. Swimming not only has no impact but strengthens the core and helps the spine. I also do lots of pushups, again for the core and back muscles which support the spinal column.
Children
No Data