Training for the 50/100 yard freestyle?

I have a meet coming up in about 15 weeks and want to focus on the 50/100 free with the 50/100 fly as secondary events. What sort of training program would you advise if I workout 5 days a week and have 2-3 hours a day to train? Should I do periodization training (6 weeks aerobic/7 weeks speed/2 week taper) or a weekly schedule where I swim hard 2-3 days a week and focus on aerobic/technique training the remainder?
  • I have a meet coming up in about 15 weeks and want to focus on the 50/100 free with the 50/100 fly as secondary events. What sort of training program would you advise if I workout 5 days a week and have 2-3 hours a day to train? Should I do periodization training (6 weeks aerobic/7 weeks speed/2 week taper) or a weekly schedule where I swim hard 2-3 days a week and focus on aerobic/technique training the remainder? I wouldn't mess around with any sort of aerobic base building phase. I'd get right to working on speed/power. Lots of 25's at 100 race pace on short (~15 seconds) rest. Lots of 25's at 50 race pace on LONG rest (2 min). The only "aerobic" work I'd do is once, maybe twice a week some 50's at 200 race pace on ~20 seconds rest.
  • Follow what Leslie says:forums.usms.org/showthread.php .She has some really great workouts for sprinters.
  • If you're focusing on the 50 and 100 I don't see much reason to do much aerobic training at all. Focus on power, explosiveness and technique. Lots of all-out swimming with lots of rest. Work on your starts and turns as much as possible.
  • If you're focusing on the 50 and 100 I don't see much reason to do much aerobic training at all. Focus on power, explosiveness and technique. Lots of all-out swimming with lots of rest. Work on your starts and turns as much as possible. Yup
  • Spend some of your energy each week (at least 3 times) doing truly race pace (AFAP) breakouts, turns, finishes, breath control. Ideally, you'll want to no-breath the 50 free and breathe only at the wall on the 50 fly. You'd be surprised how fatiguing that training can be , and I'd just start with that and build anything else around that to make sure you can go truly race pace several times a week. A go-to I have for the 100 fly is 25's on about :10 rest, anywhere from 8 to 12, but making sure I dolphin out at least 7 kicks (or whatever your goal is). Basically just trying to mimic how I'd feel on the last two walls of a 100. As Rich Abrahams has always said, masters swimmers don't swim fast enough or slow enough in training. Your time drops are going to be in the starts, breakouts, and turns for those short distances. If anything, with that amount of time, I'd add some power sprints into the front 6 weeks with fins/paddles AFAP, stretch cords or parachutes maybe three times a week. Do some form of jumping (starts, box jumps, tuck jumps, whatever) at least a couple times a week. My two cents, but it's worked for me. Good luck. I have a meet coming up in about 15 weeks and want to focus on the 50/100 free with the 50/100 fly as secondary events. What sort of training program would you advise if I workout 5 days a week and have 2-3 hours a day to train? Should I do periodization training (6 weeks aerobic/7 weeks speed/2 week taper) or a weekly schedule where I swim hard 2-3 days a week and focus on aerobic/technique training the remainder?
  • What's your training background? How have you been training lately? What's your age? What are your times? you should sprint. work on speed and technique. Lift weights and do exercises to get stronger. pretty much what swimdoc wrote. It doesn't need to be real complicated.
  • I think Rich said something like: "In training, most swimmers swim too fast, when they should be going slow and they swim too slow, when they should be going fast." Spend some of your energy each week (at least 3 times) doing truly race pace (AFAP) breakouts, turns, finishes, breath control. Ideally, you'll want to no-breath the 50 free and breathe only at the wall on the 50 fly. You'd be surprised how fatiguing that training can be , and I'd just start with that and build anything else around that to make sure you can go truly race pace several times a week. A go-to I have for the 100 fly is 25's on about :10 rest, anywhere from 8 to 12, but making sure I dolphin out at least 7 kicks (or whatever your goal is). Basically just trying to mimic how I'd feel on the last two walls of a 100. As Rich Abrahams has always said, masters swimmers don't swim fast enough or slow enough in training. Your time drops are going to be in the starts, breakouts, and turns for those short distances. If anything, with that amount of time, I'd add some power sprints into the front 6 weeks with fins/paddles AFAP, stretch cords or parachutes maybe three times a week. Do some form of jumping (starts, box jumps, tuck jumps, whatever) at least a couple times a week. My two cents, but it's worked for me. Good luck.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    If you're focusing on the 50 and 100 I don't see much reason to do much aerobic training at all. Focus on power, explosiveness and technique. Lots of all-out swimming with lots of rest. Work on your starts and turns as much as possible. Yes. Agreed.
  • Swam senior year of high school and than did it on my own for about 4 years. Was 5 years away and now I'm back to it. Right now I'm not doing any training, just active recovery stuff after my last meet. Plus I started a more physical job at work so I'm getting acclimated to that. I'm 30 years old. A few weekends ago I did my first meet in a while (video on the forum here) and swam the following times in yards: 50 Fly in 33s 50 Fr 29s 100 IM 1m 20s 100 Fr 1:08 100 Fl 1:19