training for marathon open water swim

I am preparing for stage 1 of the 8 bridges swim in the Hudson River. It is 18.3 miles. I have been doing 4,000 yards 5 days a week, then, adding a long swim on the weekends. I plan on adding yardage to that long swim each week. My question is, what should be my yardage/mile goal for the last long swim before the race? Would it make sense to swim 2 a days? I live in Pittsburgh, Pa, so, open water swims is not an option until May...any suggestions for preparation would be welcome. Thank you. Judy
  • Thank you...good luck to you with your six mile swim!
  • Thanks, I will check out her blog!
  • Don't forget to develop your feeding strategy too. Swimsuit Addict did that swim a few years back and blogged about the swim and her training. You should be able to bring it up in the usms blog section.
  • Hi Judy, I'm not sure if you have yet, but I'll second the suggestion to post on Marathon Swimmers Forum. There are a few people there who are training for various stages and their advice can be invaluable. Search the archive there as well for training tips. Have a great swim, it's a fantastic event, I did Stage 6 last year and had a blast and am wait-listed for Stage 7 (basically zero chance of getting in). Lyn
  • ... But I don't know what the preferred strategy is. If I tripled my current plan, to get to your end goal, it would put me at a 15.3 miles long swim for my peak week (it's actually about a 9,000y swim for me). However, I plan on doing one steady easy open water swim (once the weather is tolerable) PLUS one long aerobic interval pool swim most weeks. So, in my peak week, I'm also doing an 8,000 yard pool swim, which is an amount almost equal to my long swim... Michelle, which 10k are you doing? And yes, your peak should be around 8500-9000, then do a 2-3 week taper that works for you. Good luck!
  • Thank for the reply..a lot of good info...have added one 2 X day per week with a long one on the weekend and one day that I don't swim, I have added a dry land...you all have been so helpful..thank you.
  • Oh, wow..thanks, Lyn. Yeah, I got waitlisted for stage 6, then, I saw an opening in stage one and quickly entered it..hope you get off the waitlist!
  • Michelle, which 10k are you doing? And yes, your peak should be around 8500-9000, then do a 2-3 week taper that works for you. Good luck! Thanks! I'm doing Kingdom Swim in Newport VT. I've been hearing wonderful things about it and it sounds like a lot of fun.