training for marathon open water swim

I am preparing for stage 1 of the 8 bridges swim in the Hudson River. It is 18.3 miles. I have been doing 4,000 yards 5 days a week, then, adding a long swim on the weekends. I plan on adding yardage to that long swim each week. My question is, what should be my yardage/mile goal for the last long swim before the race? Would it make sense to swim 2 a days? I live in Pittsburgh, Pa, so, open water swims is not an option until May...any suggestions for preparation would be welcome. Thank you. Judy
Parents
  • ... But I don't know what the preferred strategy is. If I tripled my current plan, to get to your end goal, it would put me at a 15.3 miles long swim for my peak week (it's actually about a 9,000y swim for me). However, I plan on doing one steady easy open water swim (once the weather is tolerable) PLUS one long aerobic interval pool swim most weeks. So, in my peak week, I'm also doing an 8,000 yard pool swim, which is an amount almost equal to my long swim... Michelle, which 10k are you doing? And yes, your peak should be around 8500-9000, then do a 2-3 week taper that works for you. Good luck!
  • ... But I don't know what the preferred strategy is. If I tripled my current plan, to get to your end goal, it would put me at a 15.3 miles long swim for my peak week (it's actually about a 9,000y swim for me). However, I plan on doing one steady easy open water swim (once the weather is tolerable) PLUS one long aerobic interval pool swim most weeks. So, in my peak week, I'm also doing an 8,000 yard pool swim, which is an amount almost equal to my long swim... Michelle, which 10k are you doing? And yes, your peak should be around 8500-9000, then do a 2-3 week taper that works for you. Good luck!
Children
No Data