Technique Advice (video inside)

Hey all, I took off about 5 years from swimming and resumed around 5 months ago. I got the itch to train for a meet and took part in one this past weekend. I didn't really have any expectations going in, just wanted to get back into swimming meets again. I swam the following races with the following times : (all yards) 50 Fly --- 33 seconds 50 Free --- 29 seconds 100 IM --- 1:20 100 Free --- 1:08 100 Fly --- 1:19 I have a video of the 50 Fly, 50 Free, and 100 IM races. I'd love some feedback on what I can improve on, especially technique wise. I know that my technique isn't great so if you could direct me to some good drills to try or videos to watch that would be great. I have another meet at the end of June and would like to improve on these times. Heres the video : www.youtube.com/watch Thanks a lot!
Parents
  • I don't consider myself much of an expert. But I will say that your freestyle certainly sets you apart from the others. I don't see any elbow bend whatsoever. In fact, initially I thought it was a backstroke event until I looked at the swimmers in other lanes. I understand that a straight arm recovery can work for some swimmers...particularly in sprints. Nevertheless it just looks unusual to me. But if a straight arm recovery works for some...it makes me wonder why so many coaches push the high elbow finger tip drag drill so much. Dan Perhaps you answered your own question: "...a straight arm recovery works for some." Not everybody has such loose shoulders as Janet Evans. For many (especially Masters swimmers), a straight arm recovery would eventually cause repetitive stress injuries. I avoid it like the plague. :afraid:
  • I don't consider myself much of an expert. But I will say that your freestyle certainly sets you apart from the others. I don't see any elbow bend whatsoever. In fact, initially I thought it was a backstroke event until I looked at the swimmers in other lanes. I understand that a straight arm recovery can work for some swimmers...particularly in sprints. Nevertheless it just looks unusual to me. But if a straight arm recovery works for some...it makes me wonder why so many coaches push the high elbow finger tip drag drill so much. Dan Perhaps you answered your own question: "...a straight arm recovery works for some." Not everybody has such loose shoulders as Janet Evans. For many (especially Masters swimmers), a straight arm recovery would eventually cause repetitive stress injuries. I avoid it like the plague. :afraid:
Children
No Data