Scientists Find Out How Much Pee Is Really In The Pool

Former Member
Former Member
This new study says that one in five people relieve themselves in the pool. Both Ryan Lochte and Michael Phelps were questioned, and replied that they do it all the time. Lochte says that the pool "is the biggest and most expensive toilet of all time, and it's all mine". Our youth program has more than a dozen swimmers with inhalers on deck, 9 kids had pneumonia at the same time, and many masters have had their fare share of sinus infections. The health risks almost seem to outweigh the benefits of our sport at times. Just curious if this is really as widespread as they say. ...Without admitting to be a pool pisser, how many of you are aware of this practice, and how can we make it stop?! link to study Researchers estimated that over the 3-week period, swimmers released 7.92 gallons of pee into the smaller pool, and nearly 20 gallons into the larger one. Common or not, peeing in the pool isn’t so harmless. When uric acid in human urine mixes with chlorine, a toxic compound called cyanogen chloride and trichloramine is formed. CNCI can harm the central nervous system, the lungs and the heart, while NCI3 has been associated with acute lung injury.
  • So disgusting. I wish more people would recognize this is not acceptable.
  • This new study says that one in five people relieve themselves in the pool. Both Ryan Lochte and Michael Phelps were questioned, and replied that they do it all the time. Lochte says that the pool "is the biggest and most expensive toilet of all time, and it's all mine". Our youth program has more than a dozen swimmers with inhalers on deck, 9 kids had pneumonia at the same time, and many masters have had their fare share of sinus infections. The health risks almost seem to outweigh the benefits of our sport at times. Just curious if this is really as widespread as they say. ...Without admitting to be a pool pisser, how many of you are aware of this practice, and how can we make it stop!! link to study Not only do I not do it, I Can't do it. A few times, I have resigned myself to the idea only to get stage fright. No one where I swim admits to it.
  • When uric acid in human urine mixes with chlorine, a toxic compound called cyanogen chloride and trichloramine is formed. CNCI can harm the central nervous system, the lungs and the heart, while NCI3 has been associated with acute lung injury. So we'd be safe if pools stopped chlorinating the water!?!?! Dan
  • yes but at the same time do you mind the 200gal of muratic acid in the pool? what about the 5lbs of bug guts? how many gals of body oil? how many gals of body sweat? how many pound of leaves and trash? mine has it and its indoors! (we open the garage doors) how much hair? a single hair across my face freaks me out! how many band-aids? all of these will generate the cloramines. its what the chlorine is there for to begin with and denise...its mostly kids...my masters buddy that has a girl that swims..his daughter said all of the girls sit in the gutter and go.
  • I'd say you control the things you can control. Bird poop, leaves, etc. are things you can't really control in an outdoor pool. Human urine definitely is. Although I'll admit I never shower immediately before swimming so maybe I'm just as guilty as the pool pee-ers!
  • Believe it or not yes. Good for Laundry, bad for bathing. Understandably. I was only sort of half kidding. But it's too bad that the (water in the) pools we swim in can't be cleaner. There's a municipal swimming pool in Green Cove Springs, FL (few miles south of Jacksonville) that I've always thought is just the coolest idea. It's not a lap swimming pool...but it could be. The water in it is continuously replenished at the rate of about 3000 gallons per minute. I guess you could say that the pool actually has a current. But it's fed from the adjacent spring (see attached picture). On the far side of the pool is a spillway where the excess water runs out and down to the nearby St. John's River. As far as I know...the water isn't, or doesn't need to be treated at all (I guess they couldn't let it run down to the river if it was). Apparently the only drawback is the everpresent odor of sulfur. 11019 This pool is located next to the spring that the town is named for, where a continuous flow of 78 degree water keeps the pool filled for swimmers to enjoy. Water is directed out from the spring via a small channel into the pool, and eventually flows out the other side, continuing through a small stream to the St. John's River. www.waymarking.com/.../WM2V85_Green_Cove_Springs_City_Pool_Green_Cove_Springs_FL Dan
  • think about this: 800 kids jump in the pool all of them wiz a full quart (not that they can but an easy number to use) 800x1qt = 200gal 50m x 8lane pool is about 500,000gal 200gal vs 500,000. it litterly is a drop in the bucket
  • it litterly is a drop in the bucket It may seem insignificant, but it's not. Did you read the article? Especially the article linked at the bottom. I've heard about many meets--including national level meets--where the air quality was so bad people had trouble breathing. The ventilation system is usually blamed, but the fact is if no one ever peed in the pool the problem would immediately disappear. Chloramines are bad.
  • You can't control bird poop nor any other animal's excrement in lakes, ponds, rivers, or ocean waterfronts either. But we all swim in those. I've heard other swimmers comment that they're more concerned about what comes OFF other peoples' bodies in the pool than what comes OUT of their bodies. Hair products, make-up, perfume/cologne, deodorant, hand/body lotions, un-wiped poop (sorry but it's a fact), hand grime, foot powder, toe cheese, fabric dyes and softener from those who launder their swimsuits, etc. What does all that stuff do when it combines with chlorine? Dan
  • and i was using an example that is beyond the human ability yes and all of those meets you reference pale in comparison to '12 worlds in italy. where 4500 men swam in the inside pool in a single day and their ventalation wasnt that great