First Meet - Last Minute Questions

Heading to Sewanee, TN in the morning for my first meet. Please keep in mind I have never participated in/attended a swim meet. Food: A good pre race breakfast consists of? What foods are good for the day (I swim in the first event and the last event so this will an all day affair.)? caffeine or energy gels before events? Contents of swimbag: I know all the basics to bring. Is there anything a newbie would not know to bring that he wish he had brought? Shaving: If so, what? I want to blend in with the other guys. Im ok with being the slow guy. I just don't want to be the slow hairy guy. Timing mats: I do not do flip turns. Is there a mat in the water I need to touch w my hand so my splits are recorded? If I touch the wall but not the mat am I a DQ? Diving: My local pool does not allow diving. Therefore, I plan on diving in from the edge of the pool and not the blocks. Any special rules about that? Long races: For the 1000 free, if necessary, can I go to an ugly/illegal *** stroke? If I use breaststroke do I need to touch the wall with two hands? Can I rest for a few seconds by holding on to the wall or ropes? Thanks in advance for any advise!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    If you want a break do it at the ends. Grabbing a lane rope might be viewed as pulling on it which is a DQ. Echo the calls for extra suit, caps and goggles. Make sure your goggles are tight enough. I timed at our club distance time trial and my sons poor friend swam the 800m Freestyle with his goggles around his neck. I try to eat early if the meet has a morning start time, cereal and some protein at least 2 hours before my first race. Afternoon starts are tricky. I will adjust my meal times to mirror an AM start when possible. My next meet is a 3 hour drive with a noon warm up for example. So I will pack the appropriate food for the drive up.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    If you want a break do it at the ends. Grabbing a lane rope might be viewed as pulling on it which is a DQ. Echo the calls for extra suit, caps and goggles. Make sure your goggles are tight enough. I timed at our club distance time trial and my sons poor friend swam the 800m Freestyle with his goggles around his neck. I try to eat early if the meet has a morning start time, cereal and some protein at least 2 hours before my first race. Afternoon starts are tricky. I will adjust my meal times to mirror an AM start when possible. My next meet is a 3 hour drive with a noon warm up for example. So I will pack the appropriate food for the drive up.
Children
No Data