Performance Enhancing Drugs in Masters Swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Hello all, I'm an Australian writer based in New Orleans, and I'm writing a piece on performance enhancing drug use in Masters Sport. I'd love to speak to anyone with views that some athletes are using enhancing drugs, or have competed against anyone that has. You can contact me at ellenhardy4@gmail.com. Kind regards, Elle
  • I have never witnessed it, nor do I know of anyone who is even suspected of it. I did have a friend way back in the 80s who was suspended for steroid use after US Olympic trials in shot put. He was about 34 at the time. Maybe masters age in swimming but not in track & field. I've been taking a "banned" substance for 25 yrs for an artificial heart valve, a beta blocker, Metoprolol. It is banned in certain sports (archery, shooting) because it calms the heart beat. That's quite important in high level competition. The mere thump of a pulse can alter your aim. So, I've never competed in those sports. I've stayed with sports where beta blockers are in fact a detriment.