Blown taper

Former Member
Former Member
My Son has his championship swim meet in 2 days. His coach has been resting him for about 2 weeks His Phy Ed. teacher has scheduled the pacer test for tomorrow For those that don't know the pacer test is a running test that uses a decreasing interval to see how many reps a student can make running approximately 60 ft. until they fail. An athletic student will end up running about a mile in 10 minutes in about 80 to 90 reps of 60 ft at a time with a decreasing rest interval Does anyone think this would be a "taper buster?" Rudy Wausau Wi.
  • Yes, I would try to reschedule.
  • He should avoid that for sure!
  • I would do whatever it takes to make sure he doesn't have to do that before the meet. I have heard horror stories about uncooperative P.E. teachers from other parents. You may have to be creative.
  • The swim coach may have to throw some weight around. There is no way he should have to do that test right before a big meet.
  • Have the swim coach talk with the Alethic Director about a different date. Almost all sports are given some preference when big game/event days are close.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Maybe he should call in sick. I'd certainly avoid this.
  • My Son has his championship swim meet in 2 days. His coach has been resting him for about 2 weeks His Phy Ed. teacher has scheduled the pacer test for tomorrow For those that don't know the pacer test is a running test that uses a decreasing interval to see how many reps a student can make running approximately 60 ft. until they fail. An athletic student will end up running about a mile in 10 minutes in about 80 to 90 reps of 60 ft at a time with a decreasing rest interval Does anyone think this would be a "taper buster?" Rudy Wausau Wi. Hi! I am a PE teacher who gives the Fitnessgram test 2X per year to my students. I would attempt to talk to the PE Teacher and see if you can re-schedule the Pacer. If the PE Teacher is uncooperative I would instruct my child to participate through level 1 (7 laps) and stop. Your child should not be given a letter grade based on their performance in any of the Fitnessgram tests, in fact it is unethical and states this in the Fitnessgram manual and also is clearly stated by SHAPE, our national governing body. Truthfully, you already know your child has superior aerobic capacity due to their swim training. Hopefully this teacher will test them again in the spring and your child can max out and see what they can really do. Most kids love to take the PACER, and if it's done right can be a great goal-setting tool for kids who really don't train for any sport or activity. Good luck!! :)