Workout Variety

Former Member
Former Member
I stated in my first thread today that I can swim a mile now, and at least an hour. I also mentioned I swim in a manner that I perceive as very slow. When I say the 75 year old lady with the paddle board in the lane next to me, laps me, I am not kidding. (And hats off to her!) So, it is not even a perception, it is a reality. I would like to start adding variety to my swims, but as slow as I swim I am not sure how to mix up the week. When I was in my early 40's I would add sprints to my jog, but I am not sure I can execute a similar type of higher intensity burst in the water. I do add f'ns (today for instance), and I have hand paddles that I use on rare occassions. Maybe I need to remember to use those more often (usually at 5:00 AM I am pressing to remember the route to the pool...) and break up swims with the fins and paddle board? The hand paddles - I have wanted to use with the leg immobilizer (my term), but again, I usually get in the pool, start swimming, and forget about everything, let alone how to add variety to my workout. Anyway, suggestions are welcome, and I thank you ahead of time. T.
Parents
  • I stated in my first thread today that I can swim a mile now, and at least an hour. I also mentioned I swim in a manner that I perceive as very slow. When I say the 75 year old lady with the paddle board in the lane next to me, laps me, I am not kidding. (And hats off to her!) So, it is not even a perception, it is a reality. I would like to start adding variety to my swims, but as slow as I swim I am not sure how to mix up the week. When I was in my early 40's I would add sprints to my jog, but I am not sure I can execute a similar type of higher intensity burst in the water. I do add f'ns (today for instance), and I have hand paddles that I use on rare occassions. Maybe I need to remember to use those more often (usually at 5:00 AM I am pressing to remember the route to the pool...) and break up swims with the fins and paddle board? The hand paddles - I have wanted to use with the leg immobilizer (my term), but again, I usually get in the pool, start swimming, and forget about everything, let alone how to add variety to my workout. Anyway, suggestions are welcome, and I thank you ahead of time. T. Look in the "Workout" section of the forum, and you will find a section of workouts for women who are pregnant and swimmers with limited mobility. There's terrific variety there, and you can easily 'scale up' or 'scale down' as needed. The workouts include sets of kicking, pulling, drilling. Again, you can leave things out as needed (e.g., I will leave out pulling and sculling when my wrist tendonitis acts up; if my shoulders hurt, I'll lay off freestyle and work on kicking or breaststroke). I find it incredibly useful to plan my workouts in advance, print them off (in a font size I can read with goggles), and slip them into a plastic baggie. I bring the workout with me, and it's right there on deck, so I know exactly what I'll be doing, and I don't slip into a slog of "garbage yardage," as my former master's swim coach used to say. Having a planned workout helps keep me accountable!
  • I stated in my first thread today that I can swim a mile now, and at least an hour. I also mentioned I swim in a manner that I perceive as very slow. When I say the 75 year old lady with the paddle board in the lane next to me, laps me, I am not kidding. (And hats off to her!) So, it is not even a perception, it is a reality. I would like to start adding variety to my swims, but as slow as I swim I am not sure how to mix up the week. When I was in my early 40's I would add sprints to my jog, but I am not sure I can execute a similar type of higher intensity burst in the water. I do add f'ns (today for instance), and I have hand paddles that I use on rare occassions. Maybe I need to remember to use those more often (usually at 5:00 AM I am pressing to remember the route to the pool...) and break up swims with the fins and paddle board? The hand paddles - I have wanted to use with the leg immobilizer (my term), but again, I usually get in the pool, start swimming, and forget about everything, let alone how to add variety to my workout. Anyway, suggestions are welcome, and I thank you ahead of time. T. Look in the "Workout" section of the forum, and you will find a section of workouts for women who are pregnant and swimmers with limited mobility. There's terrific variety there, and you can easily 'scale up' or 'scale down' as needed. The workouts include sets of kicking, pulling, drilling. Again, you can leave things out as needed (e.g., I will leave out pulling and sculling when my wrist tendonitis acts up; if my shoulders hurt, I'll lay off freestyle and work on kicking or breaststroke). I find it incredibly useful to plan my workouts in advance, print them off (in a font size I can read with goggles), and slip them into a plastic baggie. I bring the workout with me, and it's right there on deck, so I know exactly what I'll be doing, and I don't slip into a slog of "garbage yardage," as my former master's swim coach used to say. Having a planned workout helps keep me accountable!
Children
No Data