Newbie looking for a good beginning workout-

Hi all, Brand new masters swimmer trying to get back in to the swim of things looking for a good basic workout to get me started- I am no where close to doing 2000+ yards a day- and I looked at some of the workouts on the forums, but they are way above my level- Any and all info is well appreciated!
Parents
  • Hi all, Brand new masters swimmer trying to get back in to the swim of things looking for a good basic workout to get me started- I am no where close to doing 2000+ yards a day- and I looked at some of the workouts on the forums, but they are way above my level- Any and all info is well appreciated! When I first got back into swimming I used an expandable workout, which I still use as my in-the-water warm up routine. The first part of my workouts are continuous swims without any breaks. Some people refer to this type of routine as a "ladder" and it consists of a combination of strokes: free style (or another strenuous stroke) and *** stroke (or another stroke) at a resting pace. The "ladder" works like this: 1st Rung (50 yds): 1 x 25 yards free style (easy pace, just stretching out and loosening up) 1 x 25 yards *** stroke (resting pace) 2nd Rung (100 yds): 3 x 25 yards free style (still just getting warmed up as pulse/breathing increase) 1 x 25 yards resting stroke (***, side or back stroke) 3rd Rung (150 yds): 5 x 25 yards free style (a little more aggressively but still not up to full speed) 1 x 25 yards resting stroke 4th Rung (200 yds): 7 x 25 yards free style (pulse/respiration getting up to optimum rate) 1 x 25 yards resting stroke Total swim distance: 500 yds One can swim back down the ladder for a total of 1000 yards or continue to add more rungs to the ladder. My normal warm up consists of adding rungs to the ladder until the last (8th) rung is 15 x 25 yards free (at a vigorous pace with flip-turns) 1 x 25 yards *** stroke After this last rung, the total swimming distance is 1800 yards (1 mile). Swimming back down this 8-rung ladder would provide a total 3600 yard (2 mile) workout. (I have actually swam this ladder up to the point where the last rung is 39x25 + 1x25, which yields a 10,500 yard swim. For me that was a 4-hour swim. Part of my swimming is preparation for longer open water swims.) I'm a slow fitness swimmer, and I usually try to do every stroke I know during my workouts. My 4000 yard (continuous swim) workout today was the following: 1800 yd ladder 100 yd side stroke (25 yd each side, regular & inverted kick) 500 yd kick board w/ fins (10x 25 yd flutter/ 25 yd dolphin) 100 yd combat side stroke (2x 25 yd each side) 500 yd pull w/ buoy and paddles 500 yd pull w/ buoy w/o paddles 300 yd free 25 yd back 50 yd fly 100 yd I.M. 25 yd free style approach stroke -------------- 4000 yds (1h 31m) Hope this helps...
  • Hi all, Brand new masters swimmer trying to get back in to the swim of things looking for a good basic workout to get me started- I am no where close to doing 2000+ yards a day- and I looked at some of the workouts on the forums, but they are way above my level- Any and all info is well appreciated! When I first got back into swimming I used an expandable workout, which I still use as my in-the-water warm up routine. The first part of my workouts are continuous swims without any breaks. Some people refer to this type of routine as a "ladder" and it consists of a combination of strokes: free style (or another strenuous stroke) and *** stroke (or another stroke) at a resting pace. The "ladder" works like this: 1st Rung (50 yds): 1 x 25 yards free style (easy pace, just stretching out and loosening up) 1 x 25 yards *** stroke (resting pace) 2nd Rung (100 yds): 3 x 25 yards free style (still just getting warmed up as pulse/breathing increase) 1 x 25 yards resting stroke (***, side or back stroke) 3rd Rung (150 yds): 5 x 25 yards free style (a little more aggressively but still not up to full speed) 1 x 25 yards resting stroke 4th Rung (200 yds): 7 x 25 yards free style (pulse/respiration getting up to optimum rate) 1 x 25 yards resting stroke Total swim distance: 500 yds One can swim back down the ladder for a total of 1000 yards or continue to add more rungs to the ladder. My normal warm up consists of adding rungs to the ladder until the last (8th) rung is 15 x 25 yards free (at a vigorous pace with flip-turns) 1 x 25 yards *** stroke After this last rung, the total swimming distance is 1800 yards (1 mile). Swimming back down this 8-rung ladder would provide a total 3600 yard (2 mile) workout. (I have actually swam this ladder up to the point where the last rung is 39x25 + 1x25, which yields a 10,500 yard swim. For me that was a 4-hour swim. Part of my swimming is preparation for longer open water swims.) I'm a slow fitness swimmer, and I usually try to do every stroke I know during my workouts. My 4000 yard (continuous swim) workout today was the following: 1800 yd ladder 100 yd side stroke (25 yd each side, regular & inverted kick) 500 yd kick board w/ fins (10x 25 yd flutter/ 25 yd dolphin) 100 yd combat side stroke (2x 25 yd each side) 500 yd pull w/ buoy and paddles 500 yd pull w/ buoy w/o paddles 300 yd free 25 yd back 50 yd fly 100 yd I.M. 25 yd free style approach stroke -------------- 4000 yds (1h 31m) Hope this helps...
Children
No Data