What kick pattern for distance freestyle

I'm coming back into swimming after a 46 year break. Back in the dark ages distance freestylers used the 4 beat & cross kicking technique. What is the current kicking pattern used by most distance freestyle swimmers?
Parents
  • Thanks for the replies. I've switched over to a 2 beat & cross. I seem to get more out of it. It's definitely more tiring than my old 4 beat and cross. We'll see how it goes. I remember consciously learning a 2-beat in my teens even though I was primarily a sprinter. I just wanted to see if I could learn it on longer sets. It took a couple of months before it felt more efficient. Now I mainly swim distance open water on use a 2-beat until I can see the finish line. Then I can't help it. 6-beat all the way.
  • Thanks for the replies. I've switched over to a 2 beat & cross. I seem to get more out of it. It's definitely more tiring than my old 4 beat and cross. We'll see how it goes. I remember consciously learning a 2-beat in my teens even though I was primarily a sprinter. I just wanted to see if I could learn it on longer sets. It took a couple of months before it felt more efficient. Now I mainly swim distance open water on use a 2-beat until I can see the finish line. Then I can't help it. 6-beat all the way.
Children
No Data