What kick pattern for distance freestyle

I'm coming back into swimming after a 46 year break. Back in the dark ages distance freestylers used the 4 beat & cross kicking technique. What is the current kicking pattern used by most distance freestyle swimmers?
Parents
  • What is the current kicking pattern used by most distance freestyle swimmers?This is highly individualized even at the elite level. For example, if you watch any videos of Gregorio Paltrinieri, the Olympic 1500 champion, he barely does a light 2-beat, whereas Katie Ledecky seems to vary throughout the race from on occasional 2-beat up to an aggressive 6 beat. I've experimented with these over the years and have found the 2-beat works best for me for longer swims (800/1000 and up), but I can manage a little more leg-action during the 400/500.
  • What is the current kicking pattern used by most distance freestyle swimmers?This is highly individualized even at the elite level. For example, if you watch any videos of Gregorio Paltrinieri, the Olympic 1500 champion, he barely does a light 2-beat, whereas Katie Ledecky seems to vary throughout the race from on occasional 2-beat up to an aggressive 6 beat. I've experimented with these over the years and have found the 2-beat works best for me for longer swims (800/1000 and up), but I can manage a little more leg-action during the 400/500.
Children
No Data