Swim meets for a clueless newbie

I am thinking of participating a swim meet, just to experience it once in my life. I had a lot of reservations about signing up for a meet. But after reading some of the threads in the forums, my fears have subsided. 1. I can't do flip turns very well. It seems I can do open turns instead. 2. I fear my goggles will pop off during my dive. Looks like I can start in the water which I am more comfortable with anyways. But there are a few things that I'm still wondering about. 1. I'm pretty slow. I've read somewhere that most meets have a "slow heat"? What does that mean really? So you could have multiple people being #1 for the same age group? And how can you tell if a meet has several heats? 2. Why is it when I view some of the past event results, some events have rankings for the top 3 swimmers and some have only 1? I am attaching a screenshot of what I am talking about. Does that mean there was only 1 person swimming in that event? 3. How does one finish off for freestyle? Do you have to press a buzzer?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    It would be a very small meet to have only one swimmer in an event. Much more likely is that there was only one person of that age group and gender in the event. Most local meets are seeded by time only, so that if there are few people your age there, there will still be several people in an event. I doubt many people go to Masters meets to "watch something exciting." Sure there can be exciting races and that is fun to watch,but most want to swim well, be with friends, meet new people, encourage newcomers, etc. Well, I know how the persons feels, the last meet I did was in 2004. I'm doing a senior olympics event in Tucson, the 50 and 100 yard breaststrokes. No dolphin kick, just the old pull and kick from the turns.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    It would be a very small meet to have only one swimmer in an event. Much more likely is that there was only one person of that age group and gender in the event. Most local meets are seeded by time only, so that if there are few people your age there, there will still be several people in an event. I doubt many people go to Masters meets to "watch something exciting." Sure there can be exciting races and that is fun to watch,but most want to swim well, be with friends, meet new people, encourage newcomers, etc. Well, I know how the persons feels, the last meet I did was in 2004. I'm doing a senior olympics event in Tucson, the 50 and 100 yard breaststrokes. No dolphin kick, just the old pull and kick from the turns.
Children
No Data