Swim meets for a clueless newbie

I am thinking of participating a swim meet, just to experience it once in my life. I had a lot of reservations about signing up for a meet. But after reading some of the threads in the forums, my fears have subsided. 1. I can't do flip turns very well. It seems I can do open turns instead. 2. I fear my goggles will pop off during my dive. Looks like I can start in the water which I am more comfortable with anyways. But there are a few things that I'm still wondering about. 1. I'm pretty slow. I've read somewhere that most meets have a "slow heat"? What does that mean really? So you could have multiple people being #1 for the same age group? And how can you tell if a meet has several heats? 2. Why is it when I view some of the past event results, some events have rankings for the top 3 swimmers and some have only 1? I am attaching a screenshot of what I am talking about. Does that mean there was only 1 person swimming in that event? 3. How does one finish off for freestyle? Do you have to press a buzzer?
Parents
  • If this helps, I didn't learn to really swim at all until about 5 years ago. I learned to do 100 and 200 fly (slow but still legal) and am going to try all 5 200 strokes in a month, and the 500 free the next day. Crazy? Yeah. You have 3 choices in life: give up, give in, or give it all you got. I can look at my self for failing. I just can't look at myself and say I didn't try to be more than I thought I could be. I felt that way over the first 100 fly. The same way on the 400 IM ... and then doing a 400 IM followed by the 50 back (I didn't get out of the pool) and the same for the 200 fly and 50 back. I will have those memories forever. I'd rather be at the top of a hill, puking, in pain, on top of the world, rather than at the bottom wondering what it felt like to be on top. It all depends on attitude. Besides, if you ask, I've always had people willing to give hints, tips, comments. That advice has been helpful. Worth the price of a meet.
  • If this helps, I didn't learn to really swim at all until about 5 years ago. I learned to do 100 and 200 fly (slow but still legal) and am going to try all 5 200 strokes in a month, and the 500 free the next day. Crazy? Yeah. You have 3 choices in life: give up, give in, or give it all you got. I can look at my self for failing. I just can't look at myself and say I didn't try to be more than I thought I could be. I felt that way over the first 100 fly. The same way on the 400 IM ... and then doing a 400 IM followed by the 50 back (I didn't get out of the pool) and the same for the 200 fly and 50 back. I will have those memories forever. I'd rather be at the top of a hill, puking, in pain, on top of the world, rather than at the bottom wondering what it felt like to be on top. It all depends on attitude. Besides, if you ask, I've always had people willing to give hints, tips, comments. That advice has been helpful. Worth the price of a meet.
Children
No Data