Masters practice after tooth extraction

Hey gang--just had a tooth extracted today, and the advice was no workout today (to be expected) but I'd be fine after that. However, searching online, I'm seeing advice not to swim for a week or more. What's your experience/advice on this? I had to skip practice today; next practice is two days from now (Thursday). I really want to get back to it but I wonder how safe it would be to go ahead with swimming. Thoughts? Granted, what I want to hear is "no problem at all, go for it"--but I also have to pay attention if there are risks. Thanks!
Parents
  • I lost all four of my lower molars from cracks down to the roots. One extraction ended up leading to a dry socket, which was awful. More recently, I had to have an upper molar extracted. The dentist who did the upper molar extraction told me it would be okay to swim in two days. I was surprised because the dentist for the lower extractions had recommended just shy of a week before returning to the pool. When I asked him about the discrepancy, he told me upper extractions seem to have less problems than lower ones. Anyhow, you might want to factor this into your deliberations. If the removed tooth was in the lower jaw, you should allow it a bit more time before resumption of vigorous exercise. If it was an upper, apparently you can resume workouts sooner. Of course, don't take my word for this! At least not definitively... Jim, Upper tooth extraction so that's promising. Thanks for the tip. All, thanks for sharing your stories and advice. I didn't need Tylenol until bedtime today which is something. I hope your dental woes are over by now! Not a comfortable experience at all! Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  • I lost all four of my lower molars from cracks down to the roots. One extraction ended up leading to a dry socket, which was awful. More recently, I had to have an upper molar extracted. The dentist who did the upper molar extraction told me it would be okay to swim in two days. I was surprised because the dentist for the lower extractions had recommended just shy of a week before returning to the pool. When I asked him about the discrepancy, he told me upper extractions seem to have less problems than lower ones. Anyhow, you might want to factor this into your deliberations. If the removed tooth was in the lower jaw, you should allow it a bit more time before resumption of vigorous exercise. If it was an upper, apparently you can resume workouts sooner. Of course, don't take my word for this! At least not definitively... Jim, Upper tooth extraction so that's promising. Thanks for the tip. All, thanks for sharing your stories and advice. I didn't need Tylenol until bedtime today which is something. I hope your dental woes are over by now! Not a comfortable experience at all! Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Children
No Data