Masters practice after tooth extraction

Hey gang--just had a tooth extracted today, and the advice was no workout today (to be expected) but I'd be fine after that. However, searching online, I'm seeing advice not to swim for a week or more. What's your experience/advice on this? I had to skip practice today; next practice is two days from now (Thursday). I really want to get back to it but I wonder how safe it would be to go ahead with swimming. Thoughts? Granted, what I want to hear is "no problem at all, go for it"--but I also have to pay attention if there are risks. Thanks!
Parents
  • Hi! I'm a 60 year old woman, and have been swimming with Masters for 22 years. Over the past 6 years, I've had a total of 7 teeth extracted and implants placed. Of course, follow the advice of your dentist/oral surgeon!! I usually skip the first (and sometimes second) practice after a tooth is extracted. I usually swim M/W/F/Sunday ----So, out of the water 4-6 days. Sorry! The reason is because I don't want to disrupt the clot, and get a dry socket. Also, when the heart rate goes up, it throbs! When I come back to practice, the first couple workouts are "easy"----nothing at max speed. I've done 2 warm-ups and called it a day. I've had good luck, and happy healing through the years. One thing I've come to respect is that even though it's just a little tooth, and "just outpatient"--- it's still surgery, and it's still in your head---which is a big deal! Hope this helps, and I wish you all the best! Thanks for your input. I will say it feels better today than yesterday, when as much as I LOVE my masters' practice, I had zero interest in attending, which told me something just by itself. Today I'm going to take things easy, just walk/easy run, maybe. Next practice is tomorrow evening. Interesting, there's almost no pain now... I took a turmeric capsule this morning, which may or may not just be a placebo. But whatever. If I feel better, that's all good!
  • Hi! I'm a 60 year old woman, and have been swimming with Masters for 22 years. Over the past 6 years, I've had a total of 7 teeth extracted and implants placed. Of course, follow the advice of your dentist/oral surgeon!! I usually skip the first (and sometimes second) practice after a tooth is extracted. I usually swim M/W/F/Sunday ----So, out of the water 4-6 days. Sorry! The reason is because I don't want to disrupt the clot, and get a dry socket. Also, when the heart rate goes up, it throbs! When I come back to practice, the first couple workouts are "easy"----nothing at max speed. I've done 2 warm-ups and called it a day. I've had good luck, and happy healing through the years. One thing I've come to respect is that even though it's just a little tooth, and "just outpatient"--- it's still surgery, and it's still in your head---which is a big deal! Hope this helps, and I wish you all the best! Thanks for your input. I will say it feels better today than yesterday, when as much as I LOVE my masters' practice, I had zero interest in attending, which told me something just by itself. Today I'm going to take things easy, just walk/easy run, maybe. Next practice is tomorrow evening. Interesting, there's almost no pain now... I took a turmeric capsule this morning, which may or may not just be a placebo. But whatever. If I feel better, that's all good!
Children
No Data