how soon after pneumonia

Former Member
Former Member
Can I get back in the pool? It's been 18 days (and 4 hours) since I swam. I had a mild case of pneumonia, which was pretty much gone after day 5 on antibiotics. I am back on the treadmill, fast walking and using other cardio equipment at the gym. Is it ok to give swimming a try? I still feel a little out of it and groggy, but I think it's partially due to lack of chlorine. :D
  • been on the treadmill and walking ... get that kick board and fins and give it a shot ! ... use it as a gateway exercise
  • do what our body lets you do. It sounds as if you already know the answer. go for it.
  • Agree with everyone else that your body will tell you when it is ready for water again. I can't tell you how many times I've tried swimming (or other working out) too soon after illness or injury, only to have that illness/injury come back even stronger. I've suffered through too many lackluster workouts because I was worried about meeting FLOG distance, an upcoming race, etc. Sounds like you're on the right track.
  • Yeah, your body will tell you how long you can make it. Go in with low expectations. The breathing is what will likely get to you first since you'll likely still have some reduced capacity. And at least this is a good excuse for a post-swim nap. :) Hope you're up to speed again soon.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    THanks everyone. I was a bit slower and didn't find breathing as difficult as the periodic coughing. Today, still coughing, but I feel fine. I hope to be back to "normal" by 2017!:banana: