Beginning Swimmer with Sinking Issues

Former Member
Former Member
Hello all. I'm not sure there's a "cure" for me here, I just thought I'd share my frustrations with swimming (the small bit of experience I've had) and see what you all thought. So, First things first, I am not a swimmer. I do not have a swimmer's body. I'm a stout, powerlifter, who these days is overweight as well. However, even when I was in much trimmer shape, I was never a good swimmer. I actually lack boyency quite a bit. I told a friend of mine how I was far less boyant than the usual person, and they had me lay back and float with their arms below me, and even when my lungs were filled with air to the max, I was sinking. I'm not sure if this is due to my weight, or having a background in powerlifting, or just a thing that you're born with, but I cannot distance swim because I sink. The only way I can swim are basically sprints, because I have to keep stroking faster and faster to stay above water. Of course, this causes breathing issues, and water getting into my mouth and throat when I breathe. I've recently began cardio again, and I've run into some knee issues. So, I've considered getting back into the pool, however, I'm not enthused, given my circumstances. I mean, it's a furious endeavor for me to swim. I get gassed right away. The farthest I can do is down-back-down-back. I watch these other swimmers just go non-stop, working and stroking but also pacing. Should I just keep up my clunky, desperate swimming? LOL Have you ever heard of other people who just appear to be human bricks?
Parents
  • I'm the opposite, a former shot putter, not a power lifter, but I can throw some weight around, so to speak. I suspect I have loads more body fat percentage since I have never had any difficulty floating. If I lie still, prone in the water, my legs rise to the surface immediately. I can actually feel the calves break above the surface. Consequently, I'm one of those guys who can go on for a mile or more at a time. However, I cannot sprint to save my life. We all have different qualities. I did get a coach and heeded her advice on many points of style and technique. Over and above any improvements in speed or endurance I got, it made me feel more at home, more comfortable and smoother in the water.
  • I'm the opposite, a former shot putter, not a power lifter, but I can throw some weight around, so to speak. I suspect I have loads more body fat percentage since I have never had any difficulty floating. If I lie still, prone in the water, my legs rise to the surface immediately. I can actually feel the calves break above the surface. Consequently, I'm one of those guys who can go on for a mile or more at a time. However, I cannot sprint to save my life. We all have different qualities. I did get a coach and heeded her advice on many points of style and technique. Over and above any improvements in speed or endurance I got, it made me feel more at home, more comfortable and smoother in the water.
Children
No Data