Good workout? Help!

Former Member
Former Member
Hello I am JP. I AM 51 and about 5'8" and 225 down from 245. Been swimming for 10 months now in a 25 meter pool. I have worked my way up to 2 miles when I want to push myself but and hour and a half takes way too long. I have been trying hi intensity and wanted to know if this workout will help me lose weight and tone up. I start out with 75 meters at 100% then 125 meters at a medium pace then 75 meters at 100% then 125 meters at medium 75 @100% 125 @ medium 75 @ 100% 125@ medium 75 @ 100% 125 @ medium 75 @ 100%. 125 @ medium to end. This is my 3 day a week workout and takes me about 35-40 mins. + 750 meters to round out the mile is my 2 separate sat and sun swims. This total takes me 55 minutes. Thus 3 lighter swims and 2 longer swims per week. Is is this an effective workout? It fits my
Parents
  • First, congrats on the weight loss and your commitment to a healthy lifestyle. Just a couple thoughts: 1. To second what Elaine mentioned, diet is the most important factor in losing weight. You can intake calories a lot faster than you can burn them off. 2. I'd suggest changing up your workout occasionally. Your body tends to adapt if you do the same thing everyday and you won't see the gains you are looking for in either weight loss or conditioning. Mixing things up helps. 3. Are you doing anything to warm-up, or are you starting out with the fast 75 at 100%? I'd suggest you do something like 100-200 meters as a warm-up before you start going too hard. Too hard/too fast is a recipe for injury. 4. Keep in mind that some of your weight loss might be offset by muscle gain (not a bad thing!), so be guided by how you look and feel, not by just what the scale says. Good luck.
  • First, congrats on the weight loss and your commitment to a healthy lifestyle. Just a couple thoughts: 1. To second what Elaine mentioned, diet is the most important factor in losing weight. You can intake calories a lot faster than you can burn them off. 2. I'd suggest changing up your workout occasionally. Your body tends to adapt if you do the same thing everyday and you won't see the gains you are looking for in either weight loss or conditioning. Mixing things up helps. 3. Are you doing anything to warm-up, or are you starting out with the fast 75 at 100%? I'd suggest you do something like 100-200 meters as a warm-up before you start going too hard. Too hard/too fast is a recipe for injury. 4. Keep in mind that some of your weight loss might be offset by muscle gain (not a bad thing!), so be guided by how you look and feel, not by just what the scale says. Good luck.
Children
No Data