First Meet Questions

:dunno: I recently registered for my first swim meet and I have a few questions: 1. I signed up for the 1000yd and 500yd free events. I am wondering how many times will I have to swim those distances in the meet? Once or twice? 2. As this is my first meet, I do not have any prior race times. I filled out the event sheet with my estimated times for each event. Was that correct or should I have left the times blank? Thanks in advance.
Parents
  • Wanted to jump in on this. I had done meets before but never a 500 free, and signed up with a time. The problem was that I signed up (early) thinking I was slow, had other races that day and wouldn't improve much. I practiced like a banshee and did it almost 4 minutes faster. I would have been perfect for the 2nd heat. I felt stupid. I apologized. Before you assume someone might be sandbagging, please ask the person because they may not have known, learned to swim as an adult, and could probably benefit from your experience next time. LOL. ROFL. No need to apologize; this has happened to a lot of swimmers, including me. :agree: There are so many factors that go into the time you end up swimming in a race. The longer the race, the more of a time swing there can be. For a 500 race, if you had been sick or injured the week leading up to the meet, or if you had a bad night sleep, your time could have swung four minutes the other way. Who knows? When you enter your seed time, you know if it was the best estimate of what you think you will swim that day. I mostly enter meets with killer event line-ups (200 fly, 200 ***, 400 IM, distance free, etc.); so, anything can happen. If I am feeling tired that day, my times will suffer as the day wears on. If I rested and strong, though, I get stronger as the meet progresses. On days like that, I'm likely to get one of my better times in a 200 fly or 400 IM at the end of the meet. I'll be signing up for the March meet with whatever time I am currently swimming when I train those races. Who knows how I will be feeling the day of the meet? I'll be 55 by then! :cane:
  • Wanted to jump in on this. I had done meets before but never a 500 free, and signed up with a time. The problem was that I signed up (early) thinking I was slow, had other races that day and wouldn't improve much. I practiced like a banshee and did it almost 4 minutes faster. I would have been perfect for the 2nd heat. I felt stupid. I apologized. Before you assume someone might be sandbagging, please ask the person because they may not have known, learned to swim as an adult, and could probably benefit from your experience next time. LOL. ROFL. No need to apologize; this has happened to a lot of swimmers, including me. :agree: There are so many factors that go into the time you end up swimming in a race. The longer the race, the more of a time swing there can be. For a 500 race, if you had been sick or injured the week leading up to the meet, or if you had a bad night sleep, your time could have swung four minutes the other way. Who knows? When you enter your seed time, you know if it was the best estimate of what you think you will swim that day. I mostly enter meets with killer event line-ups (200 fly, 200 ***, 400 IM, distance free, etc.); so, anything can happen. If I am feeling tired that day, my times will suffer as the day wears on. If I rested and strong, though, I get stronger as the meet progresses. On days like that, I'm likely to get one of my better times in a 200 fly or 400 IM at the end of the meet. I'll be signing up for the March meet with whatever time I am currently swimming when I train those races. Who knows how I will be feeling the day of the meet? I'll be 55 by then! :cane:
Children
No Data