how you can break a limit mentally?

Former Member
Former Member
Hey guys, My lifetime best in 100m backstroke is 1:00.09 (SCM), I swam this time with 21. Since I start swimming in masters competition, in my early 30s, my 100m backstroke times were around 1:03. I could droped my time this year to 1:01. (I am 37 now). And last weekend I swam my personal "masters" best time: 1:01,16. This race was not optimal, two turns were bad and my finish was bad too. I was in good shape and was try to swim around 60sek. Going sub 1minute in 100m backstroke was and is still a dream for me. And thats the point. How can you just stop dreaming and see things realistic and try to set goals that are reasonable? Is dropping one more second a realistic goal? I dont know. I am not trying hard, as I could to reach this (sub 1 minute), but I have a feeling, if I could do this, I will fail short once again... If I try somethings, that is near to my dreams, I fear that I get automaticly in my old wrong mindset, where I failed so many times in my young ages. Can you just reach a goal, without thinking of it? Maybe there is some mentally approch to this issue?
Parents
  • This is a great questions and I really look forward to hearing the discussion. I think a great many of us can relate all too well with this post. I know I struggle with this exact issue. I have used visualization techniques in the past that have helped. I really try to focus on each race and swim the best I can swim at that point in time. I like to visualize and feel the race before I even get to the blocks, when I can do this it helps but the mental monsters in check. Try to stay focused on your goal without obsessing over it, and perhaps break down your goal into small victories. You said you swam a personal masters best, and you felt you didn't nail your turns or finish. Maybe in you next race try to nail those turns and get to a 1.01.00. Good luck!
  • This is a great questions and I really look forward to hearing the discussion. I think a great many of us can relate all too well with this post. I know I struggle with this exact issue. I have used visualization techniques in the past that have helped. I really try to focus on each race and swim the best I can swim at that point in time. I like to visualize and feel the race before I even get to the blocks, when I can do this it helps but the mental monsters in check. Try to stay focused on your goal without obsessing over it, and perhaps break down your goal into small victories. You said you swam a personal masters best, and you felt you didn't nail your turns or finish. Maybe in you next race try to nail those turns and get to a 1.01.00. Good luck!
Children
No Data