Learn to swim as an adult - time questions

Hi, I didn't learn to really swim until about 5 years ago, I'm middle aged. I have since become handicapped (mildly in the legs but enough to qualify). Since I participated in some of the meets, the below is what I've improved on from Feb/March to October times in SCY. My regular times are still slow from what people swim/post here, even with the improvements. I can also do things this year I never thought I could (400 IM, 100/200 fly, 100/200 ***, 500 free, etc.). I've only done them once or twice (400 IM I had a 10 second difference in times in a month) so I've no way to know if I'm improving or not. The question is: does any one know people who learned to swim as adults and what times they can expect? Or handicapped people? Should I be ok with just getting time improvements, as I don't think I can expect what others to swam as kids do? Should I be happy with the ability to do some of these (learning and doing a 100/200 fly, 400 IM at my age), and doing it legally in a meet, and just leave it at that? Thanks, Vic 50 free: 5/6 seconds 100 free: 10 seconds 200 free: 15 seconds 50 back: 5 seconds 100 back: 17 seconds 200 back: 40 seconds 50 ***: 20 seconds 50 fly: 6 seconds 100 fly: 5 seconds 100 IM: 15 seconds 200 IM: 30 seconds
Parents
  • I don't care what your time is or when you started to swim, if you can complete a 400 IM without stopping or breaking form, you have my respect. I started swimming when I was 6 and was in the pool almost everyday until I was as 25. I'm 56 now, healthy, and just started swimming again and no way no how could I swim a 400 IM as I struggle to get 2000 yards of freestyle completed right now. I hope within a few months I can do what you are doing. Congrats
  • I don't care what your time is or when you started to swim, if you can complete a 400 IM without stopping or breaking form, you have my respect. I started swimming when I was 6 and was in the pool almost everyday until I was as 25. I'm 56 now, healthy, and just started swimming again and no way no how could I swim a 400 IM as I struggle to get 2000 yards of freestyle completed right now. I hope within a few months I can do what you are doing. Congrats
Children
No Data