Learn to swim as an adult - time questions

Hi, I didn't learn to really swim until about 5 years ago, I'm middle aged. I have since become handicapped (mildly in the legs but enough to qualify). Since I participated in some of the meets, the below is what I've improved on from Feb/March to October times in SCY. My regular times are still slow from what people swim/post here, even with the improvements. I can also do things this year I never thought I could (400 IM, 100/200 fly, 100/200 ***, 500 free, etc.). I've only done them once or twice (400 IM I had a 10 second difference in times in a month) so I've no way to know if I'm improving or not. The question is: does any one know people who learned to swim as adults and what times they can expect? Or handicapped people? Should I be ok with just getting time improvements, as I don't think I can expect what others to swam as kids do? Should I be happy with the ability to do some of these (learning and doing a 100/200 fly, 400 IM at my age), and doing it legally in a meet, and just leave it at that? Thanks, Vic 50 free: 5/6 seconds 100 free: 10 seconds 200 free: 15 seconds 50 back: 5 seconds 100 back: 17 seconds 200 back: 40 seconds 50 ***: 20 seconds 50 fly: 6 seconds 100 fly: 5 seconds 100 IM: 15 seconds 200 IM: 30 seconds
Parents
  • I swam on a club team for a few years when I was young. I enjoyed it, but didn't have much coaching, so my technique was poor-to-mediocre. I took about 40 years off before starting to swim again seriously and was fortunate to hook up with a Masters coach who was a great stroke technician and worked with me on the fundamentals of all four strokes. I saw some huge improvements in my times over the first year, dropping 17 seconds in my 100 meter free (LCM). I attribute my improvement to a combination of both improved technique and conditioning. I'm still getting faster, but the time improvements are smaller the faster I get. I'm still a long, long way from the top guys in my AG, and don't harbor any thoughts of posting any top ten times, but I enjoy the challenging of setting goals and working hard at getting faster. I find it somewhat ironic that some of my fast Masters friends who are life-long swimmers get frustrated by the fact that they are getting slower as they age and can't swim the times they used to, while at 63, I am still continuing to improve. I enjoy swimming in meets, but try to go into it with the expectation that I'm really only competing against myself and not worrying too much about who else shows up. Still seeking that "perfect" race. I also am in the early stages of an incurable debilitating disease, so I know that I might not be able to do this stuff forever. Just trying to enjoy it while I can. Every day is a gift. The best advice I can give is too decide what makes you happy and just to enjoy the journey.
  • I swam on a club team for a few years when I was young. I enjoyed it, but didn't have much coaching, so my technique was poor-to-mediocre. I took about 40 years off before starting to swim again seriously and was fortunate to hook up with a Masters coach who was a great stroke technician and worked with me on the fundamentals of all four strokes. I saw some huge improvements in my times over the first year, dropping 17 seconds in my 100 meter free (LCM). I attribute my improvement to a combination of both improved technique and conditioning. I'm still getting faster, but the time improvements are smaller the faster I get. I'm still a long, long way from the top guys in my AG, and don't harbor any thoughts of posting any top ten times, but I enjoy the challenging of setting goals and working hard at getting faster. I find it somewhat ironic that some of my fast Masters friends who are life-long swimmers get frustrated by the fact that they are getting slower as they age and can't swim the times they used to, while at 63, I am still continuing to improve. I enjoy swimming in meets, but try to go into it with the expectation that I'm really only competing against myself and not worrying too much about who else shows up. Still seeking that "perfect" race. I also am in the early stages of an incurable debilitating disease, so I know that I might not be able to do this stuff forever. Just trying to enjoy it while I can. Every day is a gift. The best advice I can give is too decide what makes you happy and just to enjoy the journey.
Children
No Data