My odd kicks

When it comes to the 'other' strokes I'm not much of a swimmer. I can swim them, but for my pool workouts I have pretty much always just been a crawl stroker for open water swimming, and general fitness. But several months ago, for whatever reason, I decided that I wanted to start swimming the other strokes a little more...particularly butterfly. I can swim it, but OMG it takes a lot out of me to just complete 50 meters. So I began adding a little bit to my workouts. Usually something like 400-800 of IM, in some cases that much all in butterfly intervals. But, I've also never had much of a kick with regard to any stroke. So I decided to compare the four kicks by time. My findings have me a bit baffled. I mean I've always known that my free-flutter kick is essentially nonexistent...I really almost don't move. But for some reason on my back I do. Fly and *** I just really had no idea. So here are my times for a 25 meter kick, using a kickboard, for the four (try not to laugh): Butterfly - 0:48 Back - 0:50 *** - 0:35 Free - 0:58 Obviously my times for the full stroke would be much faster. I just didn't think that my backstroke flutter kick would be faster than front crawl flutter. Why? And why is my breaststroke kick so much faster than the rest? Thoughts, comments? Dan
Parents
  • Kick speed versus swim speed baffles me as well. Swimming, most to least competitive: bk > fr >> br ~ fl. Kicking, fastest to slowest: br >>> fr ~ fl* > bk. What's that all about? Bk kick is really a struggle for me, but it feels quite strong when I am actually swimming backstroke, and I've had coaches agree with this assessment. My br kick is actually not that much slower than my br stroke. *fly kick on back no board. With a board on my front my fly kick is by far the slowest, maybe 2:20 for a 100.
  • Kick speed versus swim speed baffles me as well. Swimming, most to least competitive: bk > fr >> br ~ fl. Kicking, fastest to slowest: br >>> fr ~ fl* > bk. What's that all about? Bk kick is really a struggle for me, but it feels quite strong when I am actually swimming backstroke, and I've had coaches agree with this assessment. My br kick is actually not that much slower than my br stroke. *fly kick on back no board. With a board on my front my fly kick is by far the slowest, maybe 2:20 for a 100.
Children
No Data