Is it possible for me to break 52sec in the 100m free?

Former Member
Former Member
I am a senior and have never swam before, but I have been doing the pre season workouts for 2 weeks now and can swim a 59sec 100. I did this in a drag suit with very bad flip turns. How much time do you think I could take off if I didn't wear a drag suit and had decent flip turns?
  • Why :52 seconds? That's almost 2 seconds per 25m faster than your :59. It probably won't happen in the near future. Dan
  • you say you are a senior and are looking to do a 52 for a 100 meters. well only 2 people in the world have broken 52 that are 45 or older and one was a former Olympic gold medalist (nobody 55 and older). You've never swum before? so the answer is no - I would verify the length of the pool you swam in.
  • I'm presuming he means senior in high school.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    You say you never swam before, have done workouts for 2 weeks, and can now swim a 59sec 100, and in a drag suit with poor turns? Wow! Very impressive. Well done.
  • Are you sure it's meters and not yards? Assuming your season ends around the end of February that leaves you with about four months to drop 7-8 seconds (to break 52). It's not impossible, as evidence by the swimmer in the article below. However, drops this significant are not common in such a short time span. swimswam.com/.../
  • I'm presuming he means senior in high school. You are correct, I assume the age of those on this forum would be 20+ and therefore not in high school, still a significant feat but possible.
  • I'd say just go for it and see what you can do. You haven't given any information about your stroke, coaching, or background in athletics. You sound like you may have some aquatic talent. I'd hire a stroke coach to improve my form, and create a plan with your regular swim team coach to peak for whatever event you'd like to hit your goal during, and include your strength coach in the taper plan. Truthfully, you might even be selling yourself short and do better than a 52:00. Either way, it's always fun to do focused training and gear for your goals. Even if you fall short of your goal you'll be a better swimmer by following the process and working hard!
  • Go for it! 59 in the 100M is plenty quick, 52 is fast. A drop from 59 to 52 in the pool is like going from 11.3 sec to 10 sec in the 100M dash on the track. Keep after it!
  • Troll? That or just doesn't care about our opinion/advice. User's first and only post almost a week ago and hasn't been back. Dan