Hand entry for Freestyle

As long as I can remember, every swim instructor and coach has taught me that for freestyle, after recovery, stretch your arm out, hand should enter the water at an angle, with the final stretch (I'm guessing 6" or so) being done beneath the surface. You should always avoid hitting the water flat, where you'd create a large splash. I started swimming when I was about 4-5 years old, took lessons at a community pool. I started masters in my mid-20s and swam with a variety of teams and many coaches since, including one rather legendary coach, and they all taught the same thing. One coach helped develop paddles for TYR that aid in this. I was recently told that my hand entry is (in no uncertain terms), "wrong." I should be stretching my arm fully out prior to entry, then slapping the water and beginning my pull. This goes against everything I've ever been taught. So is my technique wrong? Not that I do many, but if I swim freestyle in a meet would I get a DQ? It was my understanding that one could do nearly anything for freestyle, short of pushing off the bottom or walking. Heck, I could swim doggy paddle or sidestroke if I wanted to (I wouldn't want to throw off meet timing). I've done many open water swims, including several this year, and I definitely did not receive a DQ. I saw a variety of swim styles, most seemed to swim about the same way that I do. If this is a matter of style, then that's fine. I see some people doing dolphin kicks for their breaststroke; I won't, and I've never received a DQ for that. I swim mostly just to keep in shape and train for open water swimming. I don't really care too much for speed (of course it is nice to get faster, but it isn't the end all/be all for me). I would be concerned if I'd hurt myself by doing something wrong. Appreciate any thoughts.
Parents
  • Maybe you need a second opinion from another coach who can analyze your stroke as well? Wow, I completely forgot that I posted here. I rarely visit the forums here anymore. Anyway, another coach did look at my stroke. I have major issues with my left arm that causes form issues. I've known this for a while, but it was good to hear it from someone new. He gave me some great suggestions (fingertip drill is a good one) to work on. Using my Finis Agility paddles also seems to help; but I don't want them to become a crutch. So I think I'll try to correct that before I go fiddling with something that may or may not actually help. And no, I don't have a video. Perhaps if I feel brave enough I'll eventually ask someone to take one.
  • Maybe you need a second opinion from another coach who can analyze your stroke as well? Wow, I completely forgot that I posted here. I rarely visit the forums here anymore. Anyway, another coach did look at my stroke. I have major issues with my left arm that causes form issues. I've known this for a while, but it was good to hear it from someone new. He gave me some great suggestions (fingertip drill is a good one) to work on. Using my Finis Agility paddles also seems to help; but I don't want them to become a crutch. So I think I'll try to correct that before I go fiddling with something that may or may not actually help. And no, I don't have a video. Perhaps if I feel brave enough I'll eventually ask someone to take one.
Children
No Data