Keeping Kick and Stroke Connected

Hello everyone, First topic here! I'm a new swimmer (28 male, 6'3" 180lbs) who began back in May with a program called 0-1650. I spent six weeks completing that, and a couple of months after doing individual workouts before moving to a Masters team. We swim 4x a week, and I have a weight lifting routine/core workout that I do 2x a week, non-swimming days. I have made a ton of improvement on all fronts thanks to my coach and team. My technique has improved tremendously, as well as my speed. My coach has often described this progression for me as: 1) we learned how to swim 2) we learned how to practice 3) soon we'll really train. I have my first meet in two weeks, so I'm excited about that! However, one thing that I don't feel I've addressed properly yet, is an overall feeling of connection from stroke to kick. Separately, I feel I'm gaining a lot of competence in the two, but together they just don't work together like I'd expect. For example, when kicking with short fins, I feel I'm always behind in my stroke. I try to speed up, but the stroke just doesn't come together right. I know much of this has to do with core strength. This is something I have lacked historically, but have been working on a lot lately with about 20 minutes of core work at the end of my lifting days. While I've definitely seen improvement in exercises like the plank, I'm not certain it's all getting translated to the pool like I'd expect. Any general or specific thoughts on this? I'll provide some specifics below: Times - These are just mid-workout times, nothing off the block yet. 50y - :37-:40 100y - 1:35 - 1:40 Dryland 75/80/90 Progression Incline Press - Max 130lbs Bulgarian Split Squats - weighted Pull-ups 5x5 weighted or Maximum Effort (depends on incline press progression) Face Pulls - 20lbs 90s plank 45s plank - sides 25x each: hip raises, leg lifts, flutter kicks, plank to pushup, some exercises I don't know the name of Pool Workout Average of 3400y, usually a warm-up of 300 (ea.) swim, kick w/ fins, paddles, and a drill Mixture of rest interval distances for main set. More kick Cool down Any feedback would be helpful, and I appreciate you all taking the time to look at my post!
  • Hi All this looks good to improve your overall strength and swimming. With fins you will have a different timing as to your arms. Without them is a better way to feel the coordination of the 2 working in a better rhythm. You say you are on a masters team with a coach. Bring these things up before or during practice.
  • My former Masters coach, Sheila Taormina, had us think "catch-kick", where as you initiated your arm catch with one arm, you would be kicking down with the opposite leg. We would swim drills just focusing on establishing that relationship & timing. One drill I liked in particular was 6-3-6, where you did six kicks, three full strokes, then six more kicks. Also, here is an article about kick timing from here on the USMS site: www.usms.org/.../articledisplay.php
  • To add to Mark's ^^^ comment, our coach has us do a drill where you have a paddle on one hand and a fin on the opposite foot. Swim and you should feel the timing of your feet and hands, especially if you're off. There should be a point where they are connected.
  • To add to Mark's ^^^ comment, our coach has us do a drill where you have a paddle on one hand and a fin on the opposite foot. Swim and you should feel the timing of your feet and hands, especially if you're off. There should be a point where they are connected. That's another favorite of mine. You use a paddle on your weak arm and a fin on the opposite strong leg. It sounds awkward, but is very effective in getting you to hook up your pull & kick.
  • Thank you! I have not yet brought this up specifically, because I usually get caught up in some other weakness during that particular practice. I will take the time to mention this instead!
  • That's another favorite of mine. You use a paddle on your weak arm and a fin on the opposite strong leg. It sounds awkward, but is very effective in getting you to hook up your pull & kick. This sounds pretty cool and just interesting to try! I'm sure my coach wouldn't mind me working it into our warm-ups. I will give this a try. I only own the big, holed paddles and some Zoomers. Are these okay for this sort of drill?
  • I only own the big, holed paddles and some Zoomers. Are these okay for this sort of drill? They should work fine - zoomers are good for a fast beat kick, and big paddles seem to help slow down my stroke for drills like this. Think about a big down beat kick (Boom) with the foot in the fin each time the opposite arms enters. Switch the fins and paddles around when you are done working with one side. And then try it with both emphasizing the big kick when the opposite side hand enters. You should be able to get a boom-2-3-boom-2-3 with the opposite hand entering on each boom. then smooth out the rhythm and you have a basic 6 beat kick tied to your arm stroke. Also good for waltzing :)