Days off per week

I swim 1,800 yards per day and I swim it in 42 minutes. I'm working to lose weight, get in better shape and become a better swimmer. Is 5 days on, 2 off per week good? What would be the ideal # of rest days per week? Thanks! Don
Parents
  • Something that I've been doing the last month or so is to check my resting heart rate after the alarm goes off and before getting up. You can do this manually or there are some apps on your phone that can do it. Samsung Health is on my phone. You'll find what's normal for you over the course of a week or so. I've noticed that the days the heart rate is 10-12 BPM higher, I have really lousy workouts and I'm tired. Overtrained. Those are the days I skip a workout or make it shorter/easier so that the body can reset and recover a bit more. And it has been helping. But to answer your question, for me, I'm training for a big race and put in a lot of miles each week. I take Thursdays and Sundays completely off.
  • Something that I've been doing the last month or so is to check my resting heart rate after the alarm goes off and before getting up. You can do this manually or there are some apps on your phone that can do it. Samsung Health is on my phone. You'll find what's normal for you over the course of a week or so. I've noticed that the days the heart rate is 10-12 BPM higher, I have really lousy workouts and I'm tired. Overtrained. Those are the days I skip a workout or make it shorter/easier so that the body can reset and recover a bit more. And it has been helping. But to answer your question, for me, I'm training for a big race and put in a lot of miles each week. I take Thursdays and Sundays completely off.
Children
No Data