Different freestyle pull for sprint vs. middle distance?

Is one supposed to pull differently in freestyle for shorter distances (50/100) vs. middle distance (400,800)? I have two pulls I have been working on. Pull A - feels like I am catching a ton of water - elbow drops a bit lower - shoulder fatigues after about 100 m - difficult to practice with since I get tired Pull B - doesn't pull as much water - more of an aid to body rotation - can swim longer distances without getting tired It's hard to get much yardage in when I am doing pull A because I get tired quickly. Just wondering if most people pull differently or if there is something I am doing wrong in my stroke that is wearing me out. Even if I go at a slow pace I will get tired with pull A.
  • Yes. The Race Club / Gary Hall has a number of good videos (e.g., theraceclub.com/.../). Also, just google recent Olympic results and compare three swimmers: Nathan Adrian - power sprinter Mack Horton - one of the most beautiful strokes, in my opinion, and you can see how he varies his kick tempo as the race progresses Gregorio Paltrinieri - old school, two-beat distance stroke
  • Its sounds as if A is your sprint stroke and the other will be your 200 & up stroke.
  • Yes. The Race Club / Gary Hall has a number of good videos (e.g., theraceclub.com/.../). Yes, I use all three of the "Gary Hall" described styles. My 50/100 stroke fits the "shoulder driven" description, and is very different from the "hip driven" style I use for 400M/500Y+ races. I don't even breath to the same side (left in a 2-4 pattern for 100 sprint, right every 2 for distance). My 200 stroke is a hybrid. I breath every two to the right like I do for distance, but have a stronger (6-beat) kick than the distance stroke (2 beat), and a bit of a lope with more of a delay on the pull with the left than the right.