Tips on Starts

Starts. Most of us don't get to practice them enough. More people have questions than answers,but I wanted to start a thread for both. I did the grab start for many years and was convinced that since it gave me 2 legs with even thrust that it should be better for me. A Forumite explained the physics of why the track start would be faster,so I have gone to the track start. It had the surprising advantage of being much easier on my back. With the track start I had more trouble consistently getting a clean entry.I saw the Olympians were getting into the starting position(albeit relaxed) well before "take your marks."I tried it and found it was easier to get my foot position and balance exactly like I wanted it,making for more consistent entries.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    This thread is well timed. It has been pointed out to me that I am still doing the old belly-flop entry into the water on my starts. I have not figured out the go-through-the-hole-in-the-water thing. I never swim events longer than 200 yards--lots of 50s and 100s--so starts are a significant factor in my times. First meet in 18 months in two weeks. Starts are hard to practice. Any advice on making this adjustment? Good resources? Thanks! Red
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    This thread is well timed. It has been pointed out to me that I am still doing the old belly-flop entry into the water on my starts. I have not figured out the go-through-the-hole-in-the-water thing. I never swim events longer than 200 yards--lots of 50s and 100s--so starts are a significant factor in my times. First meet in 18 months in two weeks. Starts are hard to practice. Any advice on making this adjustment? Good resources? Thanks! Red
Children
No Data