Pain in ears at the beginning of the workout?

Former Member
Former Member
My ears feel fine, I get in the pool, and swim a lap or two, and they are KILLING me for another lap or two, and then they are fine again. No pain for the rest of the workout or between workouts at all. It's so weird! Any idea why this is happening? My googling failed miserably.
Parents
  • I am having a somewhat similar issue. I've also googled like crazy and have found no solution. I came across a few others with similar issues, but no answers. At first I went straight to the doc since I was sure it was swimmers ear. But nope, doc saw nothing out of the ordinary. Every so often my left ear just starts hurting while swimming. It feels like someone is shoving a pencil in my ear! But its so random. Sometimes its very brief and I just 'shake it out' and its gone. Other times it persists and it really interferes with my workout. It only happens while I'm in the water - before and after practice its fine. I think it has to be some sort of pressure thing. I am also a diver so I know about equalization - but this doesn't exactly apply here because my ear will hurt just on the surface. When it gets particularly bad then just doing a flip-turn will prompt the stabby feeling, so just being 1-2ft under water will trigger it. I've tried equalizing anyway to no avail - so maybe its not a pressure thing? The pain I feel isn't the pressure type of pain, its very quick and intense and stabby lol. But it never feels clogged or full and no vertigo. Its only one ear, too. But it happens to be on the side I breathe most on. However, wearing an earplug has helped tremendously. The earplug itself is not keeping any water out (cause I can hear and feel it sloshing around in there!) but it does prevent the pain. Why and how I do not know. Sometimes when I forget to wear it I'll be fine, but other times I have to get out and put it in. I have no idea what's going on. :dunno:
  • I am having a somewhat similar issue. I've also googled like crazy and have found no solution. I came across a few others with similar issues, but no answers. At first I went straight to the doc since I was sure it was swimmers ear. But nope, doc saw nothing out of the ordinary. Every so often my left ear just starts hurting while swimming. It feels like someone is shoving a pencil in my ear! But its so random. Sometimes its very brief and I just 'shake it out' and its gone. Other times it persists and it really interferes with my workout. It only happens while I'm in the water - before and after practice its fine. I think it has to be some sort of pressure thing. I am also a diver so I know about equalization - but this doesn't exactly apply here because my ear will hurt just on the surface. When it gets particularly bad then just doing a flip-turn will prompt the stabby feeling, so just being 1-2ft under water will trigger it. I've tried equalizing anyway to no avail - so maybe its not a pressure thing? The pain I feel isn't the pressure type of pain, its very quick and intense and stabby lol. But it never feels clogged or full and no vertigo. Its only one ear, too. But it happens to be on the side I breathe most on. However, wearing an earplug has helped tremendously. The earplug itself is not keeping any water out (cause I can hear and feel it sloshing around in there!) but it does prevent the pain. Why and how I do not know. Sometimes when I forget to wear it I'll be fine, but other times I have to get out and put it in. I have no idea what's going on. :dunno:
Children
No Data