Taper for 1500m freestyle

Former Member
Former Member
Firstly, apologies if this has been brought up before. I'm sure it must have been covered at some time over the years. I'm in the 70-74 year age group, and on October 28th I'll be swimming a 1500m freestyle, and hoping for a good time. I'm training twice a day, covering between 7,500m and 9,000m daily. The question is - How long should I allow for the taper? I feel as though I could train right up to the event. Do you think a short taper of about 3 days would be sufficient, or does it need to be longer. I'd be keen to hear how you would approach this. Thanks
Parents
  • WOW!!! 7500-9000m a day? WOW!!!:bow::bow: I have no idea how to advise you. But, for what it's worth, I swam a great (for me) 1500 last December and 1650 this spring, but I was averaging about 15-16K yards a week. In both cases, I did a 5 day drop taper that was essentially this: Day 1 - out of pool Day 2 = 3,0000 = with the main set being a broken mile (note that I typically swim about 5 days a week so this was just a bit lower volume-wise than my typical workouts) Day 3 = 2,750 yards = main set as the Salo Pulse Plot (e.g.,forums.usms.org/entry.php Day 4 = 2,250 yards = virtually all technique work with one fast 100 Day 5 = 1,100 yards = easy meet warmup Caveats: Historically, I need less taper than the average swimmer, especially for a distance race. Moreover, for distance races, a drop-taper has worked better for me than a longer taper. If I'm primarily racing 200s to 500, though, I'll do a 10 day taper. I think you'd need a MUCH longer taper given the massive volume you're training, so I'd second the notions of a 10-14 day taper
  • WOW!!! 7500-9000m a day? WOW!!!:bow::bow: I have no idea how to advise you. But, for what it's worth, I swam a great (for me) 1500 last December and 1650 this spring, but I was averaging about 15-16K yards a week. In both cases, I did a 5 day drop taper that was essentially this: Day 1 - out of pool Day 2 = 3,0000 = with the main set being a broken mile (note that I typically swim about 5 days a week so this was just a bit lower volume-wise than my typical workouts) Day 3 = 2,750 yards = main set as the Salo Pulse Plot (e.g.,forums.usms.org/entry.php Day 4 = 2,250 yards = virtually all technique work with one fast 100 Day 5 = 1,100 yards = easy meet warmup Caveats: Historically, I need less taper than the average swimmer, especially for a distance race. Moreover, for distance races, a drop-taper has worked better for me than a longer taper. If I'm primarily racing 200s to 500, though, I'll do a 10 day taper. I think you'd need a MUCH longer taper given the massive volume you're training, so I'd second the notions of a 10-14 day taper
Children
No Data