Weight lifting to support swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
I'm not training for a particular time of year or event or anything. I am swimming because I love the water and I really need to be more active to be healthier. I've read that adding lifting can really help with swimming, and I'd like to try it, but most of the pages I find are all about what to lift leading up to a season or when tapering or whatever. My one concern is that my right shoulder gets sore easily and my coach said to avoid shoulder-focused lifting. He also said to stick with lower weight and higher reps. My good friend has been lifting for several years and is counseling me to to the opposite - higher weight, lower reps to build muscle which would make me stronger. And to specifically work the shoulders to build muscle to support the shoulder so it is less likely to be injured. He's not a swimmer, though. Perspectives? Any ideas on where can I go to learn more about this? Thanks! :)
Parents
  • Along with the strength training, be sure to do a lot of stretching/yoga moves to keep flexible. Like Mark said above, it's easy to lose range of motion and get tight when you're doing this kind of training so keep that in mind.
  • Along with the strength training, be sure to do a lot of stretching/yoga moves to keep flexible. Like Mark said above, it's easy to lose range of motion and get tight when you're doing this kind of training so keep that in mind.
Children
No Data