Weight lifting to support swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
I'm not training for a particular time of year or event or anything. I am swimming because I love the water and I really need to be more active to be healthier. I've read that adding lifting can really help with swimming, and I'd like to try it, but most of the pages I find are all about what to lift leading up to a season or when tapering or whatever. My one concern is that my right shoulder gets sore easily and my coach said to avoid shoulder-focused lifting. He also said to stick with lower weight and higher reps. My good friend has been lifting for several years and is counseling me to to the opposite - higher weight, lower reps to build muscle which would make me stronger. And to specifically work the shoulders to build muscle to support the shoulder so it is less likely to be injured. He's not a swimmer, though. Perspectives? Any ideas on where can I go to learn more about this? Thanks! :)
Parents
  • How about you go to a doctor that will give you a Medical opinion of what you can do and why something hurts now --- before you do damage just trying to get in shape. +1. Another option is to get a solid referral to a sports physical therapist and have your shoulder evaluated. Your therapist will recommend specific exercises (or weights) for you based on your needs. Do NOT take well-meaning advice from your good friend unless your friend happens to be a medical doctor or physical therapist. ;)
  • How about you go to a doctor that will give you a Medical opinion of what you can do and why something hurts now --- before you do damage just trying to get in shape. +1. Another option is to get a solid referral to a sports physical therapist and have your shoulder evaluated. Your therapist will recommend specific exercises (or weights) for you based on your needs. Do NOT take well-meaning advice from your good friend unless your friend happens to be a medical doctor or physical therapist. ;)
Children
No Data