First Swim Meet

I am a middle aged woman with no competitive swim experience. I have been swimming with a master's group for about a year now. My training has been mostly open water and triathlon distances 750 to 1500 meters with very little work on starts and turns or swim meet distances. I've done pretty well with open water distances, but am not very good at sprinting. I can dive off the blocks pretty well, but my flip turns are worse than my open turns. My local YMCA is hosting their first masters swim meet in years. I figured I would participate for the fun of it with no expectation of being competitive. Furthermore, they expect so few competitors that the age groups and gender groups will be combined. My main goal is to have fun and not be DQd from my events. Any advice on making it a good day?
Parents
  • I think I'll be ready to dive off the blocks by the time the meet comes in 3 weeks -- I'm about 90% success for keeping the goggles on presently,and I like the head start it gives me. Glad to hear that open turns are OK since the flip turns aren't improving quickly. Thanks for the tip on the touch pads -- there won't be any chance to practice that before the meet. Do I understand correctly that you have to touch the end with both hands for *** and fly, but not free and back? Current plan is to compete in 200 free relay for the team experience, 100 IM for the heck of it (I learned fly this year and am still a beginner), and 500 free because I'm best at longer distances.
  • I think I'll be ready to dive off the blocks by the time the meet comes in 3 weeks -- I'm about 90% success for keeping the goggles on presently,and I like the head start it gives me. Glad to hear that open turns are OK since the flip turns aren't improving quickly. Thanks for the tip on the touch pads -- there won't be any chance to practice that before the meet. Do I understand correctly that you have to touch the end with both hands for *** and fly, but not free and back? Current plan is to compete in 200 free relay for the team experience, 100 IM for the heck of it (I learned fly this year and am still a beginner), and 500 free because I'm best at longer distances.
Children
No Data