Masters swim class vs regular swim class

Hello, I have read all the Masters Swimming 101 articles and I am still not sure what it means to be in a masters swimming class and how it is different from a regular advanced swim class. I am able to swim a lap (50 m) without stopping, freestyle and *** stroke. And I swim mainly to work out. I'm looking for someone to help me improve my form and swim more efficiently. It would be nice to participate in some of those swim competitions at some point, but I know I am nowhere close to being ready for that. My gym offers a Masters Swim class in the mornings. I am usually there during that time, and I've never seen anybody providing any coaching. I just see a bunch of people come in at that time and start swimming on their own. I've tried to ask the gym's swim department for more details, but they have been very vague. They say Masters Swim Class is more coaching whereas their adult swim class is for learning. Can someone describe what typically happens during a masters swim class? Should it the class be a re-occurring class or is it a one time clinic type of session? Should a coach be physically present or do you just get instructions to do on your own? Thanks!
Parents
  • I would guess that a master's swim class would be an interval-based swim workout geared to adults. I believe an advanced swim class for adults would focus on properly teaching the strokes, perhaps a good base of stroke drills, and maybe master's swim team etiquette and "how to read and understand an interval workout." Please advise us once you find out for sure. I think Bobinator did a good job of summarizing the likely difference between these 2 offerings. If you want to learn more technique and mechanics then take the advanced class for adults. If you want to practice what you've learned (perhaps with little or no coaching) then take the master's swim class. As mupett indicated ask someone about the level of coaching and the level of swimming expectations and check to see if there is a swim lane with a speed that fits your ability. If you decide to take the swim class, there is some lingo associated with a coaches written workout, and it may take a while to learn it, but there are explanations of the lingo typically in the beginning of the various workout forums. Its usually a "sticky" at the beginning of the thread and titled "Terminology". Try the "Basic Workout" thread first: forums.usms.org/forumdisplay.php. It might turn out to be easier to practice what you've learned in the advanced class on your own for awhile before trying to keep up in a group class or team setting where the expectation might be swimming a workout of 1.5-3k in an hour. Lots of swimmers prefer to practice solo. As long as you are taking the advanced class, you won't be practicing and grooving the wrong technique. If you practice solo you can use the workouts forums to design your own workout and swim at your own pace.
  • I would guess that a master's swim class would be an interval-based swim workout geared to adults. I believe an advanced swim class for adults would focus on properly teaching the strokes, perhaps a good base of stroke drills, and maybe master's swim team etiquette and "how to read and understand an interval workout." Please advise us once you find out for sure. I think Bobinator did a good job of summarizing the likely difference between these 2 offerings. If you want to learn more technique and mechanics then take the advanced class for adults. If you want to practice what you've learned (perhaps with little or no coaching) then take the master's swim class. As mupett indicated ask someone about the level of coaching and the level of swimming expectations and check to see if there is a swim lane with a speed that fits your ability. If you decide to take the swim class, there is some lingo associated with a coaches written workout, and it may take a while to learn it, but there are explanations of the lingo typically in the beginning of the various workout forums. Its usually a "sticky" at the beginning of the thread and titled "Terminology". Try the "Basic Workout" thread first: forums.usms.org/forumdisplay.php. It might turn out to be easier to practice what you've learned in the advanced class on your own for awhile before trying to keep up in a group class or team setting where the expectation might be swimming a workout of 1.5-3k in an hour. Lots of swimmers prefer to practice solo. As long as you are taking the advanced class, you won't be practicing and grooving the wrong technique. If you practice solo you can use the workouts forums to design your own workout and swim at your own pace.
Children
No Data