Hello!

Former Member
Former Member
Hi! I'm a brand new swimmer, sort of. I swam on swim team for one summer in high school, and enjoyed it, but didn't continue. Here I am 21 years later, having spent most of the last 21 years at a desk sitting down, and I can't even remember HOW to do three of the strokes. I've been doing freestyle drills (to try to remember how breathing works) and what feels like billions of laps of breaststroke 5-6 days a week for about four weeks now. After the first three weeks I wanted some way to challenge myself and set goals, so I started this program: ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html It assumes freestyle but I literally can only do breaststroke right now so I'm doing that. My long term goals are pretty simple. I'd like to swim a mile ***, and a mile free, and become a competent enough swimmer to join a masters program. Not sure if I will ever want to compete, but community and a coach would be a great thing to have. Shockingly to my previously almost entirely sedentary self, I love it. I love being in the water and I love what happens after I flail around a little at the beginning and all of a sudden I feel like I could probably just swim forever and I love how hard it is sometimes and it just feels great. I don't think there is any other sport or exercise that I could say that about. So that's pretty cool. :) I have questions about technique, rest days, strength training, and avoiding injury. Hoping I can learn and build some community here. :)
Parents
  • Hi Lapras, I am a newbie too. I swam back in high school, life happened, 3 kids later and after watching my first born learning how to swim motivated me to pick it up again. So now I am starting to lap swim early in the mornings. Question for you all, what are you using to keep track of how many laps you are doing? I know there are all those fitness watches, but I am skeptical about them. Especially for swimming. Oh, Lapras, I too just joined in Lifetime, but in NY. I see I am the only USMS member in that area. So I am stuck to swimming solo. Have you tried taking Lifetime's masters swim classes? Thanks!
  • Hi Lapras, I am a newbie too. I swam back in high school, life happened, 3 kids later and after watching my first born learning how to swim motivated me to pick it up again. So now I am starting to lap swim early in the mornings. Question for you all, what are you using to keep track of how many laps you are doing? I know there are all those fitness watches, but I am skeptical about them. Especially for swimming. Oh, Lapras, I too just joined in Lifetime, but in NY. I see I am the only USMS member in that area. So I am stuck to swimming solo. Have you tried taking Lifetime's masters swim classes? Thanks!
Children
No Data